This Week in Entertainment
Sunday, April 14
Sunday, April 14
- “Gypsy, the Musical”: 2 p.m., Stage at Island Park, 333 4th St. S., Fargo. In the ultimate story about an aggressive stage mother, join Rose, June and Louise on their trip across the United States during the 1920s when vaudeville was dying and burlesque was born. Ticket range is $6-$16. Info: 701-235-6778.
El Zagal Shrine Circus: 12 and 4 p.m., Fargodome, 1800 N. University Drive, Fargo. All new Cindy Migley’s Circus Spectacular with high-wire and trapeze acts, clowns, Bengal tigers and the Shrine Circus elephants. Tickets are available at Fargodome, Hornbacher’s, Sunmart, Cash Wise, Stop-N-Go and Bell State Bank & Trust locations; range is $12-17.
“Dark”: 2 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. A full dome movie that explains and explores the nature of dark matter, the missing 80 percent of the mass of the universe. Admission is $5 for adults, or $2.50 for children 12 and younger, seniors and Tri-College students. Info: 218-477-2920.
Monday, April 15
- Open Jam Night: 9 p.m., Pickled Parrot, 505 3rd Ave. N., Fargo. Hosted by members of The Roosters, 8th Hour, Carmen the Cactus and October Road. Info: 701-356-5227.
- “Dark”: 7 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. See today’s (Sunday) listing for details.
Tuesday, April 16
- Chris Tomlin: 7 p.m., Fargodome, 1800 N. University Drive, Fargo. Burning Lights Tour; tickets are $26.50 and $36.50, group rates available. Info: 855-694-6367.
- Rodney Atkins with Josh Thompson: 7:30 p.m., Venue at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo. Country music; all ages. General admission tickets $25 in advance, $28 day of show. Info: 866-300-8300.
- Square Dancing: 6:30 p.m., Cash Wise Community Room, 1401 33rd St. S., Fargo. Rounds with Bernadette; Bernadette McNeil, cuer. Dine and dance starts at 5:30 p.m.
- FMVA BIG Art Show Reception: 5 to 7 p.m., Hjemkomst Center, 202 1st Ave. N., Moorhead. A wide variety of art (2D and 3D) from emerging and established artists, each artwork is accompanied by a statement from the artist involving their individual inspiration in creating the work and the technique involved in making it, helping the viewer to develop their own understanding of the artwork and the creative process involved. Free and open to the public. Info: 218-299-5511.
Wednesday, April 17
- “Beethoven & Black Angels”: 8 p.m., Stage at Island Park, 333 4th St. S., Fargo. Performed by the 8th Street String Quartet, tickets at the door are $6-$12. Info: 701-478-3676.
- Western Wednesday: 7:30 to 10 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. Social dance class featuring the Texas two-step and swing; beginners welcome, no partner needed. Admission is $5 per person. Info: 218-329-1735.
- Deutsches Fest: 5 to 7 p.m., Knutson Center Centrum, Concordia College, Moorhead. Sponsored by Concordia College German Club, a celebration of modern German culture, skits, performances, presentations, German-inspired cuisine served buffet style.
Thursday, April 18
- Dave Ferreira Trio: 6:30 p.m., Maxwells, 1380 9th St. E., West Fargo. Jazz music; no cover charge. Info: 701-277-9463.
- Kathie Brekke & the 42nd Street Jazz Band: 7 p.m., Basie’s at the Ramada Plaza Suites, 1635 42nd St. S., Fargo. Jazz music; no cover charge.
- Handbell Choir Concert: 7 p.m., Hvidsten Hall of Music, Concordia College, Moorhead. Featuring Concordia College’s Tintinnabula. Info: 218-299-4366.
- University Symphony Orchestra: 7:30 p.m., Hansen Theatre, Roland Dille Center for the Arts, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. Featuring student musicians from MSUM and NDSU; $5, adults, $2, seniors and students. Info: 218- 477-2271.
- Spring Band Concert: 7:30 p.m., Waage Center for the Arts, Minnesota State Community & Technical College, Fergus Falls. Ticket range is $7-$11. Info: 218-736-1600.
- Big Jam Night: 9:30 p.m., VFW, 202 Broadway, Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-235-8243.
- “God of Carnage”: 7:30 p.m., Theatre B, 716 Main Ave., Fargo. A playground altercation between young boys brings together two sets of parents for a meeting which at first is diplomatic, but as the meeting progresses, and the rum flows, tensions emerge, leaving the couples with more than just their liberal principles in tatters. Tickets are $20 adults, $10 students. Info: 701-729-8880.
- “Gypsy, the Musical”: 7:30 p.m., Stage at Island Park, 333 4th St. S., Fargo. See today’s $16 (Sunday) listing for details.
- “The Transdimensional Couriers Union”: 7:30 p.m., Walsh Studio Theater, North Dakota State University, Fargo. When a visit from her future self sends Sophie on a journey to the ends of reality, she must choose whether to repair her relationship or time itself in this science-fiction adventure of love, technology and betrayal. Ticket range is $5-$15. Info: 701-231-7969.
***The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.