This Week in Entertainment
Sunday, May 19
- Festival of Birds: 5 a.m., M State College campus, Detroit Lakes. Morning field trip to Itasca State Park and an overnight tour of the Pine to Prairie Birding Trail that returns to M State on Monday. Info: 218-847-9202.
- Musical Showcase: 2 p.m., Trinity Lutheran Church, 210 7th St. S., Moorhead. Cathedral choir, men’s choir, vocal and instrumental solos and duets performed by Trinity members; free and open to the public. Info: 218-233-1333.
- Spring Arts Fling: 1 to 5 p.m., Bluestem Center for the Arts, 801 50th Ave. S., Moorhead. Art to look at, listen to, learn about and enjoy, performances, booths, photography workshop with Martin Jonason from 1 to 3 p.m., all activities held indoors. Info: 218-284-2400.
- “Dark”: 2 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. A full dome movie that explains and explores the nature of dark matter, the missing 80 percent of the mass of the universe. Admission is $5 for adults, or $2.50 for children 12 and younger, seniors and Tri-College students. Info: 218-477-2920.
- Art Olson Swap Meet & Car Show: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Bonanzaville, 1351 Main Ave. W., West Fargo. Admission $5. Info: 701-388-1572.
- Spring ATV Club Ride & Barbecue: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Cenex, Detroit Lakes. Depart from the DL Cenex station and travel to Smokey Hills and back. Info: 218-847-9202.
- Bike & Kite Day: 2 to 4 p.m., Rendezvous Park, 1055 32nd Ave. W., West Fargo. Kite flying, bike rodeo, refreshments, free kites to the first 100 children courtesy of Luther Family Ford, Mike Gee with Wings on Strings Kite Club will be flying large, colorful kites. Info: 701-433-5360.
- Summer Grind: 5 p.m., Dike West, 310 4th St., Fargo. Beginners, intermediate and advanced skaters can demonstrate their skills during individual exhibitions, registration at 4:30 p.m.
Monday, May 20
- “The Addams Family”: 7:30 p.m., Gate City Bank Theater at the Fargodome, 1800 N. University Drive, Fargo. The smash-hit musical comedy that brings the darkly delirious world of Gomez, Morticia, Uncle Fester, Grandma, Wednesday, Pugsley and Lurch to spooky and spectacular life; tickets are $31.50, $46.50 and $56.50. Info: 855-694-6367.
- Open Jam Night: 9 p.m., Pickled Parrot, 505 3rd Ave. N., Fargo. Hosted by members of The Roosters, 8th Hour, Carmen the Cactus and October Road. Info: 701-356-5227.
- K9 Carnival: 5 to 7 p.m., Yunker Farm Dog Park, 1257 28th Ave. N., Fargo. Pets can participate in various categories with chances to win prizes, including best costume, best trick, dog/owner look alike, and biggest, ugliest, oldest and smallest dogs; dog owners will be served hot dogs and pop following the contest, free t-shirts for dog owners. Free admission. Info: 701-499-7788.
- “Dark”: 7 p.m., Planetarium, Minnesota State University, Moorhead. See today’s (Sunday) listing for details.
- Tuesday, May 21
- “The Jungle Book”: 5 p.m., Hvidsten Hall, Concordia College, 901 8th St. S., Moorhead. The preprimary through 8th grade students at the Red River Valley Academy will be performing the play. Free admission. Info: 218-287-0415.
- International Arts Night: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m., Discovery Middle School, 1717 40th Ave. S., Fargo. A celebration of the diversity of Discovery Middle School and the Fargo community through visual, performing, culinary and musical arts, featuring ethnic food sampling, musical and dance performances, physical fitness challenges, interactive art pieces and local artists and galleries. Free admission. Info: 701-446-3300.
- Surfer Blood with the Alleles: 9 p.m., The Aquarium, 226 Broadway (upstairs), Fargo. Rock music. Tickets $10 in advance, $12 at the door. Info: 701-235-5913.
- Night Fire Drum Line Summer Recruiting Roundup: 6 p.m., Oak Grove High School Scheel’s Center, 88 S. Terrace, Fargo. First practice and membership recruiting for the summer season, the percussion ensemble is for ages 14-21, no percussion experience needed. Info: 701-799-3284.
- Movie & Discussion: 1:30 to 3:30 p.m., Edgewood Vista, 4440 37th Ave. S., Fargo. Join local film critic, Tony McCrae, for a viewing and discussion of the movie, “Oliver Twist.” Free and open to the public. Info: 701-365-8200.
- Community Block Party: 5:30 to 8 p.m., Centennial Park, 4101 25th St. S., Fargo. Karaoke, inflatable games, crafts, face painting, free food while supplies last. Info: 701-499-7788.
Wednesday, May 22
- Q-98 Q-zilla: 5 p.m., Venue at the Hub, 2525 9th Ave. S., Fargo. Rock music. Papa Roach, Clutch, Escape the Fate, The Sword, Otherwise and Lionize; all ages, tickets are $28. Info: 866-300-8300.
- Ballroom Dancing: 7 to 9 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. A 30-minute polka lesson followed by open dancing and pizza. Admission is $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Info: 701-293-8306.
- Western Wednesday: 7:30 to 10 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. Social dance class featuring the Texas two-step and swing; beginners welcome, no partner needed. Admission is $5 per person. Info: 218-329-1735.
Thursday, May 23
- Blues Valley Band: 8:30 p.m., HoDo Lounge, 101 Broadway, Fargo. No cover charge.
- Dave Ferreira Trio: 6:30 p.m., Maxwells, 1380 9th St. E., West Fargo. Jazz music; no cover charge. Info: 701-277-9463.
- Kathie Brekke & the 42nd Street Jazz Band: 7 p.m., Basie’s at the Ramada Plaza Suites, 1635 42nd St. S., Fargo. Jazz music; no cover charge.
- Big Jam Night: 9:30 p.m., VFW, 202 Broadway, Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-235-8243.
- Toppers Car Show: 4 to 6 p.m., Good Samaritan Society, 4502 37th Ave. S., Fargo. Free admission, popcorn and lemonade available for purchase. Info: 701-282-2651.
Friday, May 24
- Tim Eggebraaten: 6 p.m., Long Bridge Resort, 2000 Long Bridge Road, Detroit Lakes..
- Ivory Perfume: 7 to 10 p.m., Lodge on the Lake, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. Featuring the music of pianist Carol Ledeboer-Johnson. No cover charge. Info: 218-847-8439.
- The Fat Cats: 9:30 p.m., Garage Bar, 3108 9th St. S., Moorhead. Rock music. Info: 218-287-0100.
- The Groovetones: 9:30 p.m., VFW, 202 Broadway, Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-235-8243.
***The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.