This Week in Entertainment
Wednesday, May 29
- Dixie Cups: 7 p.m., Flame of Faith United Methodist Church, 1222 6th St. E., West Fargo. Cass County vocal duo performs as a fundraiser and summer worship kickoff for the church; free will donations will be accepted for the church’s remodeling project. Info: 701-282-5765.
- Ballroom Dancing: 7 to 9 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. A 30-minute polka lesson followed by open dancing and pizza. Admission is $5 for members, $10 for nonmembers. Info: 701-293-8306.
- Western Wednesday: 7:30 to 10 p.m., VFW, 308 Sheyenne St., West Fargo. Social dance class featuring the Texas two-step and swing; beginners welcome, no partner needed. Admission is $5 per person. Info: 218-329-1735.
Thursday, May 30
- Kathie Brekke & the 42nd Street Jazz Band: 7 p.m., Basie’s at the Ramada Plaza Suites, 1635 42nd St. S., Fargo. Jazz music; no cover charge.
- Big Jam Night: 9:30 p.m., VFW, 202 Broadway, Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-235-8243.
- Hall Wine Dinner: 5 p.m., Maxwells, 1380 9th St. E., West Fargo. Unveiling of artwork by new featured artist, Dan Jones, followed by dinner and a silent auction, music by the Dave Ferreira Trio, the event is a fundraiser for the North Dakota Homeless Coalition. Info: 701-277-9463.
- Walking Tour of Historic Downtown Perham: 6:30 p.m., downtown Perham. Sponsored by the Otter Tail County Historical Society, the history of Perham and its buildings are interwoven, each has a story to tell about people and events that define the town’s legacy; $6 fee, walk begins at Northern Pacific Park on West Main Street near the post office. Info: 218-736-6038.
Friday, May 31
- Street Faire at the Lakes: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., downtown Detroit Lakes. Over 125 artist booths, live entertainment, food, beer, bingo and more. Today’s events will conclude with a street dance at 8 p.m. Info: 218-844-7469.
- Elite: 7 to 9:15 p.m., Festival Concert Hall, North Dakota State University, Fargo. A showcase for dancers age 3 and up, in jazz, tap, ballet, hip-hop and more.
- Tracy Johnson: 3 to 6 p.m., Richwood Winery, 27799 County Highway 34, Richwood. Info: 218-844-5990.
- The Fat Cats: 8 p.m., Eagles Club, 112 Holmes St., Detroit Lakes. Street dance in front of the Eagles Club until 1 a.m., featuring live music from this popular Detroit Lakes-based rock band.
- Pat Lenerts Band: 9:30 p.m., VFW, 202 Broadway, Fargo. No cover charge. Info: 701-235-8243.
- Helena Handbasket: 10 p.m., Dempsey’s Public House, 226 Broadway, Fargo. Funk, soul and rock music; no cover charge. Info: 701-235-5913.
- “The Lives of the Wolf, Coyote & Fox”: 7 p.m., Frazee-Vergas High School Gymnasium, 305 N. Lake St., Frazee. Free program by renowned Minnesota naturalist, guide book author and photographer Stan Tekiela. Learn about the intriguing lives of these elusive wild animals of Minnesota. Info: Ray Vlasak, 218-573-3243.
Saturday, June 1
- Street Faire at the Lakes: 10 a.m., downtown Detroit Lakes. See Friday’s listing for details.
- The Castaway with Denny Craswell: 5 to 8 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Live music. Info: 218-847-2121.
- Boomtown: 9:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. Live music. Info: 218-847-2121.
- Vital Remains: 9:30 p.m., Garage Bar, 3108 9th St. S., Moorhead. With Micawber and Gorgatron. Info: 218-287-0100.
- Har Mar Superstar, Birthday Suits & Still Pacific: 10 p.m., The Aquarium, 226 Broadway (upstairs), Fargo. R & B music; admission $8. Info: 701-235-2913.
- Elite: 7 to 9:15 p.m., Festival Concert Hall, North Dakota State University, Fargo. See Friday’s listing for details.
- North Country Trail Grand Opening/Tamarac Refuge 75th Anniversary: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge, Rochert. Various guided nature walks throughout the day, ribbon cutting and cake at 10 a.m. Free admission. Info: 218-847-2641.
- C-4 Summer Kick-Off: 12 to 4 p.m., Character Challenge Course Company, 13218 County Road 40, Park Rapids. Buy one and get half off for either the challenge course or zip line, $15 value. Info: 218-760-8442.
Sunday, June 2
- The Castaway with Denny Craswell: 5 to 8 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. See Saturday’s listing for details.
- Boomtown: 9:30 p.m., Holiday Inn Beach Bar & Grill, 1155 Highway 10 E., Detroit Lakes. See Saturday’s listing for details.
*** The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in both the Detroit Lakes Tribune and Becker County Record. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.