Coming up: ‘Taste of Lund’ is Saturday, ‘ A Musical Homecoming’ Sunday
Thursday, Oct. 10
- Official Brothers Revue: 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., Historic Holmes theatre, 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Combining the comedy and hits from the original Blues Brothers movie and paying homage to Chicago’s rich history of blues, gospel and soul music, Jake, Elwood and the band hit the right balance of humor, music and mayhem. Produced by Dan Aykroyd and Judy Belushi, with musical direction by Paul Shaffer, The Blues Brothers Revue is upbeat, uplifting and fun for all ages. Tickets are $28 for adults, $14 for students. Info: 218-844-7169 or www.dlccc.org.
- Paracon 2013: 7 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen. Third annual paranormal convention kicks off with a VIP dinner featuring entertainment by illusionist Aiden Sinclair. Info: 800-313-7469 or www.starcasino.com.
Friday, October 11
- Paracon 2013: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen. Third annual paranormal convention continues with presentations by the lakes area’s own Midwest Paranormal and media stars from “A Haunting in Connecticut,” “Haunted Collector,” “Ghost Hunters” and “Destination Truth.” Info: 800-313-7469 or www.starcasino.com.
Saturday, October 12
- Steve Weninger: 6 to 9 p.m., Best Western Premier Lodge on the Lake, 1200 East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes. Accordionist performs as part of the “Live at the Lodge” music series; no cover charge. German food and beer will be available for purchase. Info: 218-847-8439.
- Tripwire: 9 to 11 p.m., Holiday Inn on the Lake, 1155 Highway 10 East, Detroit Lakes. Rock music. Info: 218-847-2121.
- Angels of the Muse: 7 to 10 p.m., Spirit Room, 111 Broadway, Fargo. Music showcase and fundraiser in memory of John Foss; performers include Judy Rae, Vic Pellerano, Sonja Holmgren, Father Sinner Group (Jack Schauer and Joyce Westfall), Scot Kelsh and others. All ages show. Info: 701-478-1987.
- Paracon 2013: 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., Shooting Star Casino, 777 Casino Road, Mahnomen. Third annual paranormal convention concludes with presentations by media stars from “Ghost Hunters,” “Deep South Paranormal, “Ghost Mine,” “Haunted Collector” and “Fact or Faked,” as well as UFO expert Stanton Friedman. There will also be a gallery reading by Chip Coffey. Info: 800-313-7469 or www.starcasino.com.
- Lakes Area Quilt Expo & Demonstration: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., Washington Square Mall, Detroit Lakes. Enjoy the creativity of area quilters, while gaining new ideas for designing your next quilt. Info: 218-847-1679.
- Self Defense Seminar: 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., School of Tae Kwon Do & Kumdo, 601½ Highway 10 East, Detroit Lakes. Participants will focus on learning individual self defense techniques for real life situations, and end the day confident with techniques they can remember and use. Cost is $15 for adults (age 15 and up), $10 for TKD family members and for those taking a review course. Info: 218-234-5890.
- Taste of Lund: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Lund Lutheran Church, 25213 County Highway 21, Detroit Lakes. The Lund Lutheran Church women present their 10th annual food festival, featuring Scandinavian favorites such as rommegrot, sandbakkels, krumkake, julekake, krensekake, fruit soup, Swedish almond cake, lefse, Swedish cream and more.
Sunday, October 13
- “A Musical Homecoming”: 4 p.m., First Lutheran Church, 912 Lake Ave., Detroit Lakes. The Lakes Area Music Teachers host this special concert featuring all-local talent including Doug Newman, tim Eggebraaten, Paul Heisler, Chelsea Larson, Erik Sukke, Ashley Morben, Laura and Lori Paakh, Ann Ballard, Mark Champa and the Laker Singers. Suggested donation $10 for adults, $5 for students, with proceeds to go toward piano and voice scholarships for local students.
Monday, October 14
- Wine & Food Pairing Dinner: 6 to 11 p.m., Spanky’s Stone Hearth, 34785 County Road 4, Vergas. Bring your friends and come enjoy delectable food paired with the perfect wine, all while supporting literacy projects in the lakes area. Proceeds benefit school reading, programs, scholarships, Imagination Library, Reach Out and Read, school dictionaries, TeacHaiti, and more. Tickets are $50. Info: Kathy Dretsch, firstname.lastname@example.org.
***The Entertainment Calendar appears weekly in the Detroit Lakes Tribune. Submissions, questions and corrections (labeled “Entertainment Calendar”) may be sent by fax, 218-847-9409, by mail to Detroit Lakes Newspapers, 511 Washington Ave., P.O. Box 826, Detroit Lakes, MN 56502, or by e-mail to Vicki Gerdes at email@example.com.