High school students chosen for mentor grant
After a rigorous juried review at Underwood High School on a very chilly Saturday morning in March, Lake Region Arts Council presented 16 regional high school students with an Artist Mentor Grant.
Three local students were among the winners of the grant money.
The five-member Jury Panel reviewed applications and each student was interviewed where their creativity, skill, and commitment were assessed. Students sang, played musical instruments, performed, read poetry, danced, submitted art work, and completed assignments to qualify for the mentorship.
Each student will receive a $600 study this summer with a professional artist or attend artistic workshop. The award is funded through Lake Region Arts Council.
Recipients of the Summer 2014 Artist Mentor Grant include
- Madeline Sytsma, Pelican Rapids, French Horn
- Linka Wintersteen, Moorhead, Composition
- Caleb Schmidt, Campbell, Piano
- Christopher Tiernan, Morris, French Horn
- Trina Bjorgan, Lake Park, Music, Recital
- Erin Poore, Frazee, Violin
- Brody George Naanes, Hawley, Literature, Fiction
- Krista Fearing, Alexandria, Media Workshop
- Hannah V. Rising, Osakis, Fiction
- Shelby Sowers, Parkers Prairie, Drawing
- Katie Fish, Detroit Lakes, Playwright
- Emma Ballard, Pelican Rapids, Sculpture
- Ira Hoffman, Morris, Media Workshop
- Tiana Reetz, Frazee, Sculpture
- Daniel M. Roers, Alexandria, Theatre
- Danelle Joy Lynn Hubert, Fergus Falls, Dance Tap
For more information, contact Connie Payson at (218) 739-5780 or LRAC4@LRACgrants.org.