Weather Forecast


Keep card after purchasing license tabs to stick in car as proof of registration

Question: What proof of registration am I required to carry in my vehicle? I understand needing proof of insurance, but can't a trooper access registration information via computer if needed? Does the vehicle weight have anything to do with what documentation is needed?

Answer: I will assume you are talking about the average family vehicle and not some commercial trucks. I cannot find any statute that requires you to carry proof of registration in your family car. You are required to display the correct registration or license plates and stickers.

Here is my advice to you. When you purchase the new stickers for your license plates they come attached to a small card. After placing the stickers on you license plates put that small card in your glove box. Should there be a question at a traffic stop on the registration of the vehicle the trooper can compare information on his/her computer with the information on the card.

I prefer to keep that information next to my insurance information. And while you at it, why not clean out all the old insurance information cards so it is easier to find the current one. The current one is the only one you are required to have.

As for the vehicle weight and needed documentation, I will say yes it is possible. Mostly it will be due to the commercial hauling and work that influence items like that. I suggest you contact the Moorhead scale at 218-287-5069 and talk with a commercial vehicle inspector.

He/she will be much better at explaining those requirements than I can. I am not trying to put you off here, just trying to eliminate the middleman. You see, I would have to ask them and relay it to you. So as they say, just go get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Here are some simple tasks to help you avoid being in a crash: turn on your lights; drive sober; pay attention to your driving; slow down and because not every driver out there is as careful as you, buckle up.

If you have any questions concerning traffic related laws in Minnesota, send your questions to Trooper Andy Schmidt, Minnesota State Patrol, 1000 Highway 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501-2205, e-mail