Weather Forecast


Fargo police make third arrest in vandalism to Urban Plains Center

Fargo police arrested a third suspect Thursday in connection with vandalism that caused more than $500,000 of estimated damage to the Urban Plains Center hockey arena under construction in south Fargo earlier this week, Sgt. Jeff Skuza said.

MacArthur Lee Johnson, 21, of Fargo, was arrested on suspicion of criminal mischief and criminal conspiracy, Skuza said. Johnson is being held in the Cass County Jail.

Skuza said Johnson is an acquaintance of two 24-year-old men arrested Wednesday in connection with the inci-dent, Jordan Taylor Lugert and David William Vacha.

Although police weren't looking for additional suspects after the first two arrests, the investigation didn't stop, Skuza said.

"As we were tying up loose ends and that sort of thing, we came up with information that there was a third person involved," he said, declining to give details of how police identified Johnson.

Johnson was arrested at about 5:45 p.m. Thursday at his workplace, Swanson Health Products, 4075 40th Ave. S., Skuza said.

Lugert was arrested about 2 p.m. Wednesday and Vacha was arrested about 2:45 p.m. Wednesday. Lugert lives on Amber Valley Parkway, which is near the future $25 million hockey arena, Skuza said.

Vacha and Lugert are scheduled to appear in court on the charges today.

Construction workers discovered more than $500,000 of estimated damage to the site when they arrived at the scene Monday morning.

Cranes were used to smash a concrete block, shatter win-dows and throw equipment off the roof, which punched a hole in the concrete below.

Authorities believe the damage was done overnight Sunday when the pair were under the influence of alcohol, Skuza said.

Skuza has said the amount of damage is fairly unprecedented in the area except for the 1995 incident when Michael Damron cut underground telephone cables to disable an alarm system at Fargo's Site on Sound stereo store to rob it of $80,000 worth of equipment.

Damron's act caused an estimated $1 million in damage and left 20,000 people without phone service.