Weather Forecast


Salvation Army helping displaced residents at south Fargo apartment complex as standoff enters sixth hour

FARGO - The Salvation Army is working with a south Fargo church to assist tenants of an evacuated apartment complex in hopes of giving them a place to go.

The apartment complex at 2433 20th Ave. S. was evacuated earlier today after police received a call about a man who made threatening comments in the hallway.

The call prompted police to evacuate residents, block off traffic in the area and close a nearby Stop-N-Go convenience store.

Sheldon Ellig, owner of the area's Stop-N-Go franchise, said he agreed with the decision by police to close down a store near the apartment building where police believed a man might be holed up with a gun.

"There's no need in jeopardizing an employee," Ellig said by phone Wednesday evening.

The Salvation Army is working with First Assembly of God to give displaced tenants a place to stay until the situation, which started nearly six hours ago, is resolved.

Police said they have been unable to communicate with a man inside unit 203. Officers hope that a robot, normally reserved for bomb investigations, will aid in contacting the man.

SWAT team members arrived on scene about 1:40 p.m. after a police negotiator was unable to make contact with the suspect.

At 11:25 a.m. Fargo police were on the scene after receiving the call.

Sgt. Ross Renner said police received a report saying a man was in the hallway this morning and making threats with a shotgun.

Officers have had previous interactions with the man, Renner said.

Police negotiators arrived on scene about 12:40 p.m.

Earlier, at least two officers were brandishing guns outside of the building, one with a handgun and the other with a long gun.

Other officers set up street barriers to block traffic.

A woman with a baby who was leaving the apartment building, along with a man, was quickly ushered away from the area by police.

An officer told a woman in a nearby building who was standing on a balcony to get inside.

Officers planned to use squad cars to block the entrances to the gas station. Based on radio transmissions, police were asking the other residents of the building to leave.

Fargo Police Lt. Steve Lynk said police were called to the same apartment building for a disturbance in the parking lot Monday afternoon. They believe one of the people involved in the disturbance is the same man involved in today's incident.

The latest incident began when someone called an individual who pohoned police to report that someone had been yelled at in the apartment by a man who had a gun.

Street View of south Fargo Standoff

View Standoff in south Fargo in a larger map