Weather Forecast


Family of four displaced after Fargo apartment fire

A cooking fire displaced a family of four and caused an estimated $20,000 in damage early today in south Fargo.

No one was injured in the blaze, reported at 1:34 a.m. in a 30-unit apartment building at 2102 17th St. S.

A woman and two children were home when oil in a stovetop pan ignited, Assistant Fargo Fire Chief Larry Schuh said.

The woman tried to put out the fire with water, and the flames spread to the kitchen cabinets.

The occupants escaped the apartment uninjured and notified 911. Firefighters arrived and quickly extinguished the fire.

The fire was confined to the kitchen area, and the apartment unit sustained extensive smoke damage.

The building's remaining tenants were able to return to their apartments.

The Salvation Army and Red Cross also responded to the scene.