Weather Forecast


Report shows GF Highway Patrol captain had blood alcohol content twice the legal limit after DUI arrest

Kevin Robson

The captain of the Grand Forks office of the North Dakota Highway Patrol had a blood alcohol content nearly twice the legal limit after being arrested for drunk driving in Beltrami County on March 10, according to a sheriff's office report released Monday.

Kevin Robson, 42, provided a urine sample that tested .15 percent alcohol concentration. The legal limit is .08.

He was originally pulled over on suspicion of hit and run around 3 a.m. southeast of Bemidji.

Arrest details

The incident report said Robson twice told the responding officer that he hadn't been drinking.

The report filed by Deputy Chuck Nelson said when Robson was pulled over, he had "watery glassy eyes, slurred speech, an extremely hoarse voice and slow mannerisms and movements."

Robson took three field sobriety tests and Nelson said he saw signs of impairment during each of the tests.

Robson took a breathalyzer, but Nelson said he didn't follow test directions three straight times. The report said that Robson blew around the straw instead of into it, at one point sucked in on the straw, and was then arrested after allegedly failing to properly take the test.

Once the officer made the arrest, Robson allegedly repeatedly said he was a captain with the North Dakota Highway Patrol and was not going to be handcuffed, according to a secondary incident report.

Robson eventually complied with the officers on the scene and was handcuffed in front of his body, as opposed to behind his back.

Another officer gave Robson's female passenger a ride home.

Call to police

According to an incident report, a man delivering papers called authorities at 3:03 a.m. to report his vehicle was struck by a silver SUV. He told officers he was stopped at a mailbox on the 1900 block of 23rd Street Southeast facing west on the south side of the road with his headlights and hazard lights on.

Robson's 2008 GMC Envoy was allegedly traveling east and had to swerve at the last second to avoid a head-on collision with the vehicle.

The man said the two vehicles' passenger-side mirrors collided and Robson's vehicle continued heading east. He followed the SUV until the officer arrived.

A deputy who inspected Robson's vehicle did not see signs of a collision with another vehicle, although part of the right rear fender had been wiped clean of dirt.

The report said Robson took the urine test at 4:09 a.m.

After giving the sample, the report said Robson made phone calls to his wife and Highway Department colonel.

Reaction to the report

Highway Patrol Superintendent Col. Jim Prochniak said Monday that Robson remains on paid personal leave since the arrest.

The agency is gathering information on the incident and has not seen the investigative reports, Prochniak said.

"For me to even comment ... is premature," he said.

However, Prochniak said his agency has policies, including for personal behavior, and Robson's return to the Highway Patrol isn't contingent on the court case.

"We're certainly taking this event seriously," he said. "We want to gather all the information we can."

A message left at Robson's house Monday evening was not returned by press time.

Reach Bieri at (701) 780-1118; (800) 477-6572, ext. 118; or send email to Bemidji Pioneer editor Steve Wagner contributed to this report. The Herald and Pioneer are both owned by Forum Communications Co.