Weather Forecast


Fire forces Fargo day care to evacuate 260 children

FARGO - Employees of a Fargo day care center shepherded 260 children out of the building in less than three minutes after a fire broke out on a stove in the kitchen this morning, according to the Fargo Fire Department.

No one was injured.

Crews responded at 10:35 a.m. to fire alarms at Small Wonders Daycare, 1401 Oak Manor Ave. S.

The building's sprinkler system had extinguished the fire before firefighters arrived. They shut down the sprinklers and then worked to clear the building of smoke and water, Assistant Chief Gary Lorenz said in a news release.

The children were taken to a nearby hotel and later returned to the day care center after the sprinkler system was reset.

The blaze caused minor fire and water damage to the cabinets and kitchen appliances and minor smoke damage throughout the building. A damage estimate wasn't immediately available.

Lorenz said the fire started on or near the stove and is under investigation. The Fire Department responded with 14 personnel on four engines, one truck and one command vehicle.

The department encourages all businesses with sprinkler systems to make sure they are professionally inspected and functioning properly, the release stated.