Weather Forecast


Resources available for residents affected by wildfire

Several resources are available to residents who suffered damages due to the wildfire north of Menahga.

The American Red Cross has volunteers in the area ready to assist victims of the wildfire.

Terry Sluss of the American Red Cross urged people to contact that agency for immediate help. The number is 800-560-7641.

Long-term efforts will be partnerships with local churches and relief agencies, he said.

Judy Hanne Gonzalez, also with the Red Cross, said that her agency is available to help with emergency shelter, food, mental health services and referrals to other agencies.

Donations can be made to the Red Cross by texting 90999. This is an automatic $10 donation on a phone bill. Donations can also be made online at or mailed to 1900 Division St. Bemidji, MN 56601.

Gonzalez said there is an in-kind hotline that can be called if people are interested in donating large quantities of items, such as crates of water. Call 612-460-3700.

Brad Livingston, of Menahga, is organizing a donation site at Our Redeemer Lutheran Church in Menahga. He will be keeping a list of specific items that are needed. For more information, call the church at 218-564-4031 or go to the Facebook page “Green Valley Fire Donation at Our Redeemer Church.”

They are looking for personal care items such as clothing and food. Cleaning supplies and yard tools are also needed.

Mahube-Otwa Community Action Partnership also has resources for shelter, food or transportation available to assist residents who are displaced from the fire. Call 218-732-7204 or 218-632-3600.

Ruby’s Pantry in Menahga is also assisting residents with food, gas, medical and other resources. Call 218-564-4501.

Producers could also be eligible for assistance.

Mike Stevens, Wadena and Hubbard County Farm Service Agency executive director, will be starting the process to have a disaster declaration for the area.

Producers who suffered damages should call his office for assessments and to determine if funding or resources are available to help with forest restoration or building. He can be reached at 218-631-2876 or 218-732-9723.

Limited property tax relief could also be available. Call the Hubbard County Assessor’s office at 218-732-3452 or Wadena County Assessor’s office at 218-631-7781.

Anna Erickson
Anna Erickson is editor of the Wadena Pioneer Journal.
(218) 631-2561