Weather Forecast


Moorhead crash suspect already faced jail time for previous DWI charge

Kristopher Todd From

MOORHEAD -- Kristopher Todd From pleaded guilty last Thursday to a DWI charge and was supposed to report to jail Monday.

However, early Sunday the 23-year-old may have been under the influence of alcohol again when the car he was driving left Interstate 94 in Moorhead and crashed through a fence, injuring From and three passengers in the car.

Clay County District Court documents charge From with six counts of criminal vehicular operation. Two of the counts claim he was under the influence at the time of the crash.

According to court papers:

Two passengers in the car, Theodore J. Narlock, 32, and Shawn P. Halvorson, 23, were taken after the crash by a friend to Fargo's Innovis Health, where the injured claimed they had been hurt in a fight.

Narlock had bleeding on his brain, a lung contusion and a fractured vertebra.

Halvorson suffered injuries that may cause paralysis. A third passenger, James From, suffered less severe injuries, documents state.

Narlock's mother, Judie Cocherell, said Tuesday that her son suffered a broken vertebra in his neck when he was ejected from the vehicle and thrown 150 feet.

Still, he was lucky, she said.

"He's moving his toes," Cocherell said after a visit to her son's hospital room.

She said her son was initially placed in an induced coma because doctors were worried about bleeding in his brain.

Cocherell said her son faces a long recovery, but she's grateful he is alive and says the crash should serve as a warning to others.

"I want people to stop and think: If you drink, get a cab," said Cocherell, who added her son and his friends had been at a Fargo nightclub before the crash.

From, who was arrested Sunday after an investigation tied him to the crash, is being held in the Clay County Jail in lieu of $50,000 cash or bond, or $25,000 cash or bond with conditions in connection with the crash charges.

From pleaded guilty Thursday in Clay County District Court to a DWI charge stemming from a May traffic stop in Moorhead.

From was sentenced to 200 days, with 160 days stayed.

For the 40 days he was to serve, From was ordered to report to jail Oct. 12 to serve 15 days behind bars. He was to serve the remainder of his sentence on electronic home monitoring at his own expense.