Weather Forecast


WE man gets prison for stolen goods

A White Earth man was sentenced recently in Becker County District Court on felony charges of receiving stolen property and first degree burglary, in relation to two separate incidents.

On the receiving stolen property charge, Steven Ray Greenfeather, 29, of 33673 Monroe Drive, White Earth, was sentenced to 12 months and 1 day in prison, with 157 days credit for time served, and fined $135.

On the burglary charge, he was sentenced to 27 months in prison, with credit for 157 days served, and fined another $135.

Greenfeather was charged with both receiving stolen property and alteration/removal of serial numbers on a firearm, in connection with a July 28, 2012 incident on County Road 21 in Becker County.

Greenfeather was reported as having taken a motor vehicle without permission; law enforcement spotted the vehicle on County Road 21 just north of Floyd Lake, and a deputy stopped the vehicle.

Greenfeather reportedly said the vehicle was not stolen, and invited the deputy to look for the vehicle title as proof. During a subsequent search of the vehicle, the officer found a 9 millimeter semi-automatic pistol in a case, and a vehicle title which said the vehicle belonged to Kari Warner (which was later proven to be true).

During an inventory search of the vehicle, two laptop computers were also found that were later discovered to have been reported stolen from the White Earth school this past spring. Greenfeather was also discovered to have a revoked driver’s license, and was charged with a misdemeanor count of driving after revocation. Both the misdemeanor driving offense and the firearms charge were dismissed.

The burglary charge was related to a Sept. 22, 2012, incident at a Detroit Lakes residence. Greenfeather and an accomplice were accused of entering the home without permission and attempting to steal some television sets. After arguing with one of the home’s owners — they were both inside the house at the time — Greenfeather allegedly pulled a handgun from the waistband of his pants and threatened to fire.

After failing in their attempt to steal the TV sets, both men fled the scene.