Crime and Accidents
The following items were taken from reports at the Detroit Lakes Police Department and Becker County Sheriff’s Office.
Tuesday, Aug. 20
- At 2:17 a.m. police responded to a report of an unruly patient at the emergency room at Essentia St. Mary’s Hospital.
Wednesday, Aug. 21
- At 12:39 a.m. a fire was reported on the 44000 block of Hawes Beach Road. The Wolf Lake Fire Department handled the call.
- At 2:07 a.m. A protection order was violated when a man kicked in an apartment door on the 200 block of Barbara Avenue.
- At 8:15 a.m. a resident of the 200 block of Stonecreek Drive reported a vehicle had been rummaged through, and a bottle of perfume stolen. The woman said she heard that other people in the neighborhood had also had their cars rifled through.
- At 8:54 a.m. police received a report of boom boxes blaring at the soccer fields. The person who made the report wanted an officer to explain the city’s noise ordinance and make them turn down the music.
- At 9:02 a.m. alleged child maltreatment was reported on the 11000 block of Oak Avenue.
- At 9:10 a.m. alleged child maltreatment was reported on the 20000 block of County Road 21.
- At 9:21 a.m. found property was reported: a Phillips DVD player and car chargers were found at Andrews Avenue and Central Street.
- At 10:07 a.m. fire was reported in a two-stall garage on the 15000 block of county Road 6 in the Cormorant lakes area. The garage was a total loss, according to KDLM Radio. Firefighters from Lake Park and Audubon helped fight the blaze about seven miles south of Lake Park. Lake Park Fire Chief Vance Larson said there was lots of ammunition in the garage. One firefighter suffered a minor knee injury after slipping while battling the flames, but no one else was injured. A cause for the fire has not been determined and is under investigation. Firefighters were on the scene for almost two and a half hours.
- At 5:19 p.m. police were informed that people who were jumping off Long Bridge had parked a truck on the bridge so they could listen to music while they jumped into the channel.
- At 5:51 p.m. a motorcycle crash was reported on County Road 5 about a quarter mile east of the Roadhouse in Cormorant. The rider had to put the bike down on its side to avoid a collision. Injuries were largely limited to road rash.
- At 6:23 p.m. a shed burglary was reported on the 23000 block of Larson Avenue in Richwood Township. Taken were a Wagner paint sprayer, a DeWalt cordless saw, a DeWalt drywall saw, a Black & Decker saw, a half-inch drill for mixing paint and a dark blue tote full of drywall tools.
- At 7:20 p.m. a house fire was reported on the 700 block of Shorewood drive. The fire was extinguished but there was a lot of smoke in the house.
- At 10:10 p.m. the theft of a laptop computer was reported on the 300 block of Park Street.
- At 11:59 p.m. disorderly conduct was reported outside the Northside bar.
Thursday, Aug. 22
- At 1 a.m. a medical crew responded to a report of a woman collapsed on the sidewalk on Summit Avenue north of West Lake Drive.
- At 1:51 a.m. the theft of golf clubs was reported on the 1200 block of Washington Avenue.
- At 2:28 a.m. a gravel conveyor caught fire at a pit in Cormorant Township. It was extinguished by dumping gravel on the fire.
- At 7:28 a.m. a vehicle break-in was reported at the county fairgrounds.
- At 8:24 a.m. a medical crew responded to a man in Detroit Township who had suffered bee stings and was unresponsive.
- At 9:20 a.m. an anonymous caller reported that a resident on the 500 block of Richwood Road was holding a fourth rummage sale this year, in violation of the city’s three-rummage sale-per-year ordinance. The alleged scofflaw adamantly maintained that it was only their third rummage sale of the year. Next year they will be tracked.
- At 9:54 a.m. a candy machine was stolen from a coin laundry on the 800 block of West Lake Drive. The theft was caught on video.
- At 10:18 a.m. the theft of an orange bicycle was reported on the 1200 block of Lake Avenue.
- At 10:24 a.m. alleged child maltreatment was reported on the 2000 block of Second Street in Lake Park.
- At 11:15 a.m. the theft of a grain truck was reported in Hamden Township. The truck was seen in the field by a neighbor at about 8 a.m. that day, and tire tracks led south on Highway 59.
- At 3:19 p.m. a medical crew responded to a report of a male who fell about 15 feet off a ladder on the 140000 block of County Road 11 in Lake Eunice Township.
- At 4:50 p.m. alleged child maltreatment was reported on the 200 block of East Main Street in Detroit Lakes.
- At 6:59 p.m. an assault was reported at Feldt’s mobile home park in Frazee. The victim was hit in the head with a beer bottle.