Weather Forecast


Crime & Accident Report

The following items were taken from reports at the Detroit Lakes Police Department and Becker County Sheriff’s Office.

Thursday, Dec. 26

  • At 12:32 p.m. people were stopping their vehicles and trying to pick up what looked like loose currency blowing around the intersection of highways 10 and 59. They were disappointed to discover the flying bills were actually “$1 million bills.”

Saturday, Dec. 28

  • At 8 p.m. a wood-burning stove caused a shed fire on the 44000 block of 140th Street in Evergreen Township. Firefighters from Wolf Lake and Frazee were on the scene for several hours.

Tuesday, Dec. 31

  • At 1:33 a.m. a clothes dryer fire was reported at a home in White Earth. White Earth firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.

Friday, Jan. 3

  • At 8:46 a.m. it was reported that $1,500 in cash had been taken from the Lake Park municipal liquor store.
  • At 11:20 a.m. a White Earth woman reported a theft from her purse on the 40000 block of County Road 34.

Saturday, Jan. 4

  • At 7:41 a.m. a Maple Grove Township man reported that someone kicked in the door of his home and stole a 60-inch TV set. The home is located on the 36000 block of County Road 34.

Sunday, Jan. 5

  • At 3:35 p.m. the theft of a purse was reported at Central Market. A wallet from the purse was found outside.

Monday, Jan. 6

  • At 6:18 p.m. the Detroit Lakes Fire Department responded to a chimney fire on the 16000 block of Highland Drive. Firefighters were on the scene about 35 minutes.

Tuesday, Jan. 7

  • A fire near Audubon reportedly did considerable damage to a house and especially an attached garage. Audubon firefighters handled the call, but additional information was not available Friday.

Thursday, Jan. 9

  • At 10:40 a.m. Detroit Lakes firefighters responded to a fire in a pole shed off County Road 149 north of Detroit Lakes. No one was hurt in the fire, but it seriously damaged a pickup truck in the pole shed, according to Detroit Lakes Fire Chief Scott Flynn.  He said the fire likely started from a block heater the owner had just plugged the truck’s battery into in the pole shed. Firefighters were able to save the building, which sustained smoke damage and limited fire damage, Flynn said. Firefighters from Detroit Lakes, Audubon, and Callaway were on the scene — about four miles northwest of Detroit Lakes — for about an hour.