Weather Forecast


DL man accused of gun threats

A Detroit Lakes man has been charged with terroristic threats and second degree assault after police say he pointed a gun at another man’s face on West Lake Drive in front of Zorbaz in Detroit Lakes Saturday night.

David James Tuma, 42, was released on $25,000 bond after his first court appearance earlier this week.

According to the complaint, a 911 call came into police at approximately 10:20 p.m. when the caller stated somebody was holding a gun to their friend’s face.

According to a statement given to police, the incident started when the victim and his passenger were leaving a gas station Saturday night. They said somebody they did not know began following them closely with his brights on.

When the victim pulled over on West Lake Drive, he reportedly got out to see why the man was following him so closely.

That’s when they say Tuma pointed a gun at the victim’s face and told him to get down on the ground.

He also allegedly said the gun was loaded and he was not afraid to use it.

The passenger in the victim’s vehicle witnessed the incident and called police.

“By the time we got there the incident with the gun was over, and we had our guys there within a minute of getting the call,” said Detroit Lakes Police Sgt. Chad Glander, indicating how quickly the incident happened and was over.

He says both parties involved were on the scene when officers arrived.

 “The suspect was very cooperative with us; we took him into custody without any incident at all,” said Glander. “What the general public saw was the cops holding this guy at gunpoint because it was reported to us that a gun was involved, and we did recover a gun; (in his vehicle) it was a handgun.”

Glander says because the incident happened right along West Lake Drive, officers from the police department and Becker County Sheriff’s Department blocked off a section of the street between Summit and Rossman Avenues for a short amount of time.

Glander says both law enforcement agencies worked together to conduct witness interviews of the incident, which he says gave authorities reasonable doubt to arrest Tuma, who has a permit to carry a handgun.

Tuma now faces a maximum of 12 years in prison and a $24,000 fine for the two felonies.

His next court appearance is set for Aug. 11.