Weather Forecast


Column: Boredom leads to a rock and a hard place

Sometimes trying to find something to do is what gets you into trouble, that's what happened to me last weekend.

Saturday was one of those days where no matter who you talked to, there was nothing going on.

Two of my friends and myself were sitting in my backyard, mouth-droppingly bored, trying to find something to do. After sitting around an hour or two, we decided to gas up the car and head out to the Vergas trails for the day.

We were trail cruising until about 2 in the afternoon, and that's when curiosity killed the cat.

After all the stories we'd heard, and the fact that we were really bored, we decided to take my friend's 1997 Nissan Altima down one of the many side trails that are out there.

It's not that we hadn't taken any of the side trails before. We had, and the car (which is actually pretty impressive, or else my friend is a really good driver) had made it through every trail.

But this trail was a little different. It went straight through the heart of the woods, and was in poorer condition, but we gave it a shot anyway.

Through all of the times I had ever been out in the trails, I had only gotten stuck once.

That was two years ago in the springtime, it was only the third or fourth time I had ever been out there. That time, we bottomed out about 2.5 miles in (which luckily wasn't too far), and we had to walk the 2.5 miles out of the trails in the dark, and had to knock on random doors until we found someone to pull us out, but unfortunately this situation wasn't as convenient.

This trail was in the heart of the trails (which is probably eight or nine miles in), plus we got about three miles in on this trail, so when our car bottomed out on the giant rock hidden under a bunch of brush, we knew we were screwed.

After about 15 minutes of trying to drive out (to no avail), our antics started. Now when you're 15 miles in the heart of the woods the cell phone service doesn't really pick anything up, so calling people wasn't an option, at least at first.

We grabbed every thing that could be slightly useful (a baseball bat, a giant rock and a branch), and started trying different things -- like wedging the bat under the car, and trying to stand on it to push the car off the rock, but the bat snapped.

After an hour and a half of pure failure, we walked the three miles to the main trail, where our cell phones finally got service. We got hold of a friend who came out to try to help us, but the car was too big to fit down the trail, and our friend had to work at 5 (which by this time was in half an hour), so all we gained out of her was a small car jack that didn't really work.

We walked the trail back to the car, and started trying to configure the carjack, but it really didn't help, and after a couple of hours we gave up on that too, but we had a new problem: It was getting dark.

We really didn't wanna be stuck in the middle of the woods in the dark, so we stepped our game up. We used the big rock and the bat to get the jack a little higher off the ground, and once it was as high as possible the three of us said a prayer, and we all started lifting on the left side of the car, and for the first time in seven hours, the car moved.

We repeated the whole process over again (ending with a prayer) and once again the car moved a little.

After repeating the process for the fifth time (and praying for the fifth time) we gave it one last heave, and the car slid right off the rock -- just as the sun started to set -- and we got out of there, finally.

Jonah Bowe is a junior at Detroit Lakes High School.