Tamarac contest winners announced
The essence of Tamarac has once again been captured in its annual photo contest.
This year there were 27 participants and 63 entries. A total of three entries could be submitted by each participant.
From mushrooms to wood ducks, folks showed a diverse interest in all the refuge has to offer. The grand prize winner, Whoo are You? (a screech owl) was taken by John Dermody of Frazee. For his efforts, he was awarded $75 cash.
Both the Refuge Manager's Choice and Editor's Choice went to Pam Lehmann of Callaway for her surreal sunrise photo. Cash awards and gift certificates to the Tamarac Gift Shop were also presented to the first, second and third place winners in each category.
Judges were Brian Basham, photographer for the Detroit Lakes Tribune, professional photographers LaVonne and Norbert Caulfield of Detroit Lakes, and professional photographer and field editor of Birds and Blooms magazine, Roland Jordahl of Pelican Rapids.
The annual photo contest provides Tamarac the opportunity to increase its photo collection used to promote the refuge and its mission. Visitors may view all entries at the visitor center through Nov. 30, located 9 miles north of Hwy 34 at the junction of County Highways 26 and 29. Visitor Center Hours are 7:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday through Friday. Photos may also be viewed on the Tamarac Interpretive Association-Friends of Tamarac Web site at www.tamaracfriends.org.
Grand Prize -- Whoo are You? by John Dermody, Frazee
Editor's Choice -- Sunrise over the Pines by Pam Lehmann, Callaway
Manager's Choice -- Sunrise over the Pines by Pam Lehmann, Callaway
1. Whoo are You? by John Dermody, Frazee
2. Tie -- Share Your Food! By Miles Mudderman, Rothsay; Looking for Breakfast by Kathy and Chris Steidl, Fargo
Honorable Mentions -- I Love Milkweed by Pam Lehmann, Callaway; King of the Bush by Philip Gedgaud, Moorhead
1. Nature's Artwork-Hoarfrost by Carolyn Wenger, Detroit Lakes
2. Serenity by George Read, Ogema
3. A New Year Coming by Gloria Schattschneider, Detroit Lakes
Honorable Mention -- The Rest Stop by Truman Grove, Alexandria
1. Beaver Art by Kathy and Chris Steidl, Fargo
2. Wood Duck in the Morning by Ken Mattson, Ogema
3. Sunrise over the Pines by Pam Lehmann, Callaway
Honorable Mention -- Tree Abstract by Carolyn Wenger, Detroit Lakes
1. Learning about Animals at Tamarac by John Dermody, Frazee
2. An Owling Good Time by John Dermody, Frazee
3. Anybody Home? By Miles Mudderman, Rothsay
1. Tie -- I'm a Fun Guy by Michele Gedgaud, Moorhead; North Star by Shirley Read, Ogema
3. Arrowhead by Diane Gilles, Scottsbluff, NE
Honorable Mention -- Wild Roses by Bailey Yliniemi, Detroit Lakes