Weather Forecast


Detroit Lakes boys' hockey loses to Fergus Falls in overtime

Junior center Andy Schupp checks an Otter hockey player into the boards Saturday. (Taylor Blank/DL Newspapers)

A quick, fast-paced early tempo propelled the Detroit Lakes boys' hockey team to a 3-1 lead over rival Fergus Falls Saturday inside Kent Freeman Arena.

But the Otters were able to grind the game to a halt, keying their three-goal second period and an eventual 5-4 overtime win to drop the Lakers to 2-2 on the season.

"Our game plan was to move the puck quick and attack fast and we were able to do that in the first period," said DL head coach Chris Denardo. "That went according to plan. But in the second period, penalties became an issue and Fergus Falls was able to slow us down with a lot of clutching and grabbing, which wasn't called (by the referees).

"That was the frustrating part."

The Otters answered DL's 3-1 lead with two power play goals in the second period, both coming off the stick of defenseman Derek Kinder, who matched the Lakers' Tanner Lane's hat trick on the night.

On Kinder's first goal, he was able to go end-to-end on the Laker defense and put the puck past DL goalie Andrew Friesen -- who had 39 saves on the evening.

"We needed to attack him inside-outside and didn't," Denardo said.

Kinder put Fergus Falls up 4-3 on the waning seconds of an Otter power play, with a slapshot from just in front of the blue line with 12.4 seconds remaining in the second.

Lane, who was harassed throughout the second period, found some open space at the 9:53 mark of the third period on an assist by Davis Johnson, to force the 4-4 tie.

"We wanted to go out in the third period and reorganize by controlling the puck, which for the most part, we did," Denardo said. "We also missed a lot of back door opportunities."

A scrum in front of the net 4:44 into the overtime resulted in the game-winner, which ironically tipped off a DL defenseman's stick and past Friesen.

The Lakers (2-2) scored three unanswered goals in the first period to answer the Otters' lone score, with Lane starting things off to tie the game 1-1 with 6:01 left.

Andy Schupp converted a nice goal just 20 seconds later, after picking up a loose puck in front of the Otter net and flipped it over FF goalie Jason Lofquist's right shoulder for the 2-1 edge.

Lane's name was called again after he buried a nice pass from linemate Nate Baker, who was stationed behind the net, for a beauty of a one-timer with just 1.2 ticks left in the second.

"I can't complain about the guys' effort," Denardo said. "And Andrew Friesen played a great game in goal, he's been playing well.

"The team is playing well, we could be 4-0. They just need to keep playing like that and we'll be fine."

The Lakers will have the rest of the week off and then travel to Park Rapids Tuesday for a 7:30 p.m. start.

They will host Walker/Hackensack-Akeley Friday, Dec. 18.