Smith sets all-time Husker golf record
Kate Smith and the Huskers finished in third place, respectively, and broke six school records at the Westbrook Invitational on Monday Feb. 26, as Smith completed the best performance by a Husker all-time with a 67-64-71-202.
Smith finished the Westbrook Invitational hosted by Wisconsin in third place, five strokes behind winner Jaclyn Lee from Ohio State (64-69-64-197), and three strokes behind runner-up Kaitlin Milligan from Oklahoma (62-68-69). Third place is also Smith's career-best finish.
Nebraska finished in third place behind Oklahoma (279-279-281-839) and Ohio State (281-278-281-840) in the loaded 15-team field. Third place marks the best finish for Nebraska this season in a field of more than 10 teams.
Smith had already smashed Nebraska's individual 18-hole and 36-hole school records on Sunday when she posted a 67 first-round score and a career-best 64-second round score, but completed the trifecta today when she rounded out the Westbrook Invitational with a 71 to finish 54 holes with a 202, the best performance by a Husker all-time. The previous individual school record of 209 was set by multiple Huskers, including current Huskers Haley Thiele (UNLV Collegiate Showdown, Oct. 25-27, 2015), and Audrey Judd at last year's Westbrook Invite, where she earned the tournament title (Feb. 26-27, 2017). Sarah Sasse was the first Husker to hit the 209-mark at the Ptarmigan Ram Fall Classic on Sept. 9-10, 2002.
As a team, Nebraska was well on its way to breaking the 54-hole team record after setting new team records yesterday with an 18-hole team score of 273, and a 36-hole team score of 556. The Huskers posted a 287 in the third and final round today to finish with an 843, the best performance by a Husker team all-time. The previous best performance by a Husker squad was at the UNLV Collegiate Showdown in 2015 where the golfers shot an 860 through two days.
Senior Audrey Judd, the 2017 Westbrook Invitational champion, finished in sixth place overall for the Huskers, with an impressive 209 on the weekend (70-68-71). Sophomore Haley Thiele tied for 42nd with a four-above-par 76 to close the tournament (74-68-76-218). Sophomore Annie Sritragul and freshman Noor Ahmed finished tied for 58th, respectively. Sritragul finished 72-75-75-222, just one stroke off of her career-best of 221. Ahmed made up ground in the third round today with a 70 (79-73-70-222).
The Huskers will return to action on March 16-18 when they travel back to Arizona, this time to Mesa for the Clover Cup.
Sunday Feb. 15 - Monday Feb. 26, 2018
Location: Peoria, Ariz.
Course: Westbrook Village Golf Club (Vistas Course)
Par 72 6,252 yards
Team Results (Final)
1. Oklahoma 279-279-281-839 (-25)
2. Ohio State 281-278-281-840 (-24)
3. Nebraska 283-273-287-843 (-21)
4. Wisconsin 288-277-279-844 (-20)
5. Oregon State 280-288-282-850 (-14)
6. Notre Dame 288-280-284-852 (-12)
7. Indiana 285-281-287-853 (-11)
8. Kansas State 280-293-283-856 (-8)
9. Illinois 286-283-290-859 (-5)
10. Washington State 287-290-283-860 (-4)
11. UC Davis 294-286-281-861 (-3)
12. Oregon 303-278-286-867 (+3)
13. Delaware 292-291-293-876 (+12)
14. Kansas 288-288-302-878 (+14)
15. Iowa 296-286-303-855 (+21)
Individual Results (Final)
1. Jaclyn Lee, Ohio State 64-69-64-197 (-19)
2. Kaitlin Milligan, Oklahoma 62-68-69-199 (-17)
3. Kate Smith, Nebraska 67-64-71-202 (-14)
4. Emma Albrecht, Notre Dame 70-67-70-207 (-9)
5. Connie Jaffrey, Kansas State 70-72-66-208(-8)
6. Audrey Judd, Nebraska 70-68-71-209(-7)
Samantha Hutchison, UC Davis 72-69-68-209 (-7)
8. Ana Ruiz, Oklahoma - 71-70-69-210(-6)
9. Becky Klongland, Wisconsin 75-65-71-211(-5)
Adeena Shears, Ohio State 74-67-70-211(-5)
Alivia Brown, Washington State 69-70-72-211(-5)
Priscilla Schmid, Indiana 71-71-69-211(-5)