Girls Tennis: Subs do the job for DL
A well-deserved rest was awarded to the Detroit Lakes varsity girls’ tennis players, as a short-handed New York Mills team visited Tuesday.
The Lakers still pulled out the win 5-2, as seven regular varsity players took the day off for DL.
“After speaking with their coach, we agreed to sit most of our varsity players,” said DL head coach Tanner Beauchman.
“It was nice to get some rest heading into our long week of matches.”
Devree Bunnis played her first singles match of the season, coming out on top of Mallory Weber 6-2, 6-1, while the No. 1 doubles team of Adrianna Brehm and Maddie Ring won their third-set tiebreaker 12-10.
“Adrianna and Maddie have played a few varsity matches, but they played a great match (Tuesday),” Beauchman said.
“They actually fought off a match point in the third set and came back to win.”
The Eagles won the top two singles matches, with Victor Selander topping Emma Maguire and Abby Salo over Stella Foltz.
The No. 2 doubles team of Brittany Waslaski and Megan Vogt also won 6-1, 6-2.
The Lakers played in the Mid-State Conference meet Wednesday, then will travel to Moorhead for a dual Thursday and host a triangular with Alexandria and Thief River Falls Friday.
New York Mills at Detroit Lakes, Tuesday, Sept. 24
Detroit Lakes 5
New York Mills 2
- Victor Selander (NYM) over Emma Maguire (DL) 6-3, 6-1
- Abby Salo (NYM) over Stella Foltz (DL) 7-6, 6-4
- Devree Bunnis (DL) over Mallory Weber (NYM) 6-2, 6-1
- Grace Kinney (DL) won by default
- Adrianna Brehm/Maddie Ring (DL) over Jewelle Boe/Robyn Harper (NYM) 6-4, 6-7, 12-10
- Brittany Waslaski/Megan Vogt (DL) over Kori Salo/Maddy Keskitalo (NYM) 6-1, 6-2
- Anna Nickolousen/Hailey Sonstegard (DL) won by default