DL tennis splits section pair
Detroit Lakes earned a split with two section teams defeating Fergus Falls 6-1 and falling to No. 10A Thief River Falls 5-2 in Fergus Falls Saturday, May 12 coming off a tough 6-1 loss at Perham.
“I thought the boys responded to the Perham match pretty well today,” said head coach Zach Biggar. “Again, with all these section matches in a row, it is important that we play well every match. We battled with Thief River Falls well which is good because we are planning on seeing them again in sections. Also, we took care of business against Fergus Falls and started all matches strong which is something we are working on. Looking forward to Minnewaska on Tuesday.”
Both wins against the Prowlers in doubles.
Gabe Hanninen and Pedro Lacasa defeated Zach Twamler and Jack Onkka 6-3, 6-3 in the top doubles match. At No. 3, Jens Richards and Caden Smith took down Aiden Martell and Rhett Janisch 6-3, 4-6, 13-11.
DL swept all four singles matches against the Otters in straight sets getting wins from Lacasa, Hanninen, Tanner Doppler and Richards.
Conner Froke and Garrett Knopf and Isaac Eggebraaten and Jake Hanson earned victories at two and three-doubles, respectively.
DL remains on the road traveling to Minnewaska Area Tuesday, May 15.
Thief River Falls 5, DL 2
1. Cole Gillespie (TRF) over Garrett Knopf (DL) 6-1, 6-0
2. Carter Onkka (TRF) over Conner Froke (DL) 6-0, 6-0
3. Tucker Skime (TRF) over Isaac Eggebraaten (DL) 6-4, 6-2
4. Camden (TRF) over Jake Hanson (DL) 6-0, 6-0
1. Gabe Hanninen/Pedro Lacasa (DL) over Zach Twamler/Jack Onkka (TRF) 6-3, 6-3
2. Dylan Hahn/ Noah Dupprecht (TRF) over Tanner Doppler/Trey Seebold (DL) 6-4, 6-4
3. Jens Richards/Caden Smith (DL) over Aiden Martell/Rhett Janisch (TRF) 6-3, 4-6, 13-11
DL 6, Fergus Falls 1
1. Pedro Lacasa (DL) over Isaac Ahlgren (FF) 6-2, 6-1
2. Gabe Hanninen (DL) over Caleb Danielson (FF) 6-4, 6-0
3. Tanner Doppler (DL) over June Connelley (FF) 6-0, 6-1
4. Jens Richards (DL) over Conner Ackerson (FF) 7-5, 6-2
1. Noah Tarezon/Maverick Kalenburg (FF) over Trey Seebold/Austin Baker (DL) 4-6, 6-2, 11-9
2. Conner Froke/Garrett Knopf (DL) over Colton Partain/Matt Nibluck (FF) 6-4, 6-2
3. Isaac Eggebraaten/Jake Hanson (DL) over Blake Schuetzle/Blayne Schuetzle (FF) 6-2, 4-6, 6-1