DL tennis advances to semis, falls to top-seeded Prowlers
The Detroit Lakes tennis team broke a long drought of not advancing past the first round of the section playoffs but had the team portion of the season ended in the a semifinals loss to Thief River Falls on the Prowlers’ home courts Monday, May 21.
“The boys came out strong for our first round match,” head coach Zach Biggar said. “We talked about taking control early in the match and in most matches, we did that. It seems every year during sections everyone brings a little extra for playoff time. There were tons of great points being played all around.”
The Lakers defeated the defending section champions Crookston 5-2 in the Section 8A quarterfinal.
“The boys had a lot of confidence after the Crookston win,” said Biggar. “This was the first "first round" win for most of the guys on the varsity team.”
The Pirates stacked their singles lineup but could only manage a split of the four matches. Tanner Doppler defeated Logan Wardner in straight sets at two-singles; Conner Froke won his four-singles match against Tanner Janorschke love and three.
DL had little trouble sweeping all three doubles matches in straight sets getting victories from the pairings of: Trey Seebold and Gabe Hanninen; Austin Baker and Jens Richards, and Jake Hanson and Isaac Eggebraaten.
Detroit Lakes defeated Crookston in all three meetings this year.
Top-seeded Thief River Falls was awaiting the winner of DL and Crookston after a first round bye. The Prowlers only gave up six games in the four singles matches cruising to a 6-1 victory.
“We knew we had our hands full with the No. 1 seed,” said Biggar. “Whenever you have a team ranked in the top 10 in state, it makes you change some things around and it forces you to play almost perfect tennis. Unfortunately, we could not pull out enough matches. I think we played them tough but they are just so deep through their entire lineup.”
The shuffled Laker lineup got their lone victory at one-doubles from Lacasa and Gabe Hanninen defeating Jack Garmen and Brandon Boetcher 7-5, 6-4.
Jens Richards and Hanson forced a third set in three-doubles but lost 6-2, 5-7, 6-3.
DL has two singles players and a pair of doubles tandems seeded in the individual portion of the tournament.
Lacasa and Hanninen are seeded No. 2 in doubles; Seebold and Doppler are No. 6. In singles, Austin Baker is seeded No. 11, Conner Froke No. 13.
Froke faces Crookston’s No. 4 Nick Garmen. Baker plays No. 6 Noah Tarczon of Fergus Falls.
Lacasa and Hanninen have a first round bye. Seebold and Doppler face No. 11 Joe Connelly and Maverc Kalenberg of Minnewaska.
The 8A team final will be played Tuesday, May 22 between Thief River Falls and Perham.
Section 8A Quarterfinals
Detroit Lakes 5, Crookston 2
1. Nick Garmen (CR) over Pedro Lacasa (DL) 6-0,6-1
2. Tanner Doppler (DL) over Logan Wardner (CR) 6-3, 7-5
3. Blake Fee (CR) over Garrett Knopf (DL) 6-1, 6-4
4. Conner Froke (DL) over Tanner Janorschke (CR) 6-0, 6-3
1. Trey Seebold/Gabe Hanninen (DL) over Jack Garmen/Brandon Boetcher (CR) 7-5, 6-4
2. Austin Baker/Jens Richards (DL) over Dilon Owens/Robert Janorschke (CR) 6-1, 4-6, 6-4
3. Jake Hanson/Isaac Eggebraaten (DL) over Logan Schultz/Evan Christensen (CR) 6-0, 6-2
Thief River Falls 6, Detroit Lakes 1
1. Cole Gillespie (TRF) over Austin Baker (DL) 6-0, 6-0
2. Carter Onkka (TRF) over Garrett Knopf (DL) 6-0, 6-0
3. Tucker Skime (TRF) over Conner Froke (DL) 6-1, 6-2
4. Camden Broadwell (TRF) over Isaac Eggebraaten (DL) 6-1, 6-2
1. Pedro Lacasa/Gabe Hanninen (DL) over Zach Twamley/Jack Onkka (TRF) 7-6, 6-4
2. Dylan Hahn/Noah Rupprecht (TRF) over Trey Seebold/Tanner Doppler (DL) 6-3, 7-5
3. Ethan Janisch/Aiden Martell (TRF) over Jens Richards/Jake Hanson (DL) 6-2, 5-7, 6-3