DL News Staff
The Becker County 4-H Council continues to collect spent cartridges from printers, copying and Fax machines including ink and Laser technology. Working with LazerTek, 4-H receives cash from the company for each useable ink cartridge we collect. Businesses and individuals that are willing to donate spent cartridges are asked to call the Becker County Extension Office at 218-846-7328 or bring them to the office. Animal identification deadline Most 4-H Animals projects must be identified with the proper forms in our office by May 15.
Americans are a strange lot. We blow steam for a few days about an important matter -- pledging to do something about it -- but bow to the inevitable of everyday living and watching our favorite television program. The volcano quiets until the next disturbing news causes the cycle to begin anew. Minnesota and North Dakota grain farmers are back in the fields again, and they are already well aware what 2006 expenses are going to look like. Gas and diesel fuel prices have steadily gone up this month, and will certainly equal what we paid last year, maybe even more. U.S.
U.S. Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minn.) and five other congressional members have formed the Congressional Dairy Farmer Caucus. The announcement was made April 4 in Washington, D.C. The caucus will consider how federal policy can promote and improve the U.S. dairy industry. "Milk and dairy products are an important part of a healthy diet. There are 65,000 dairy farmers in the United States who provide the milk and dairy products we need," explained Peterson. The caucus includes Reps. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), Rick Larsen (D-Wash.) and Randy Kuhl (R-N.Y.); and Sens.
The following are daily future price settlements on near-contracts for grain, livestock and dairy commodities for the week of April 14-20. Minneapolis spring wheat, May contract; Friday Closed; Monday $4.13 3/4; Tuesday $4.25 1/2; Wednesday $4.23; Thursday $4.25. Chicago corn, May contract; Friday Closed; Monday $2.36 1/2; Tuesday $2.39 1/4; Wednesday $2.38 1/2; Thursday $2.35 3/4. Chicago soybeans, May contract; Friday Closed; Monday $5.71 1/2; Tuesday $5.75 1/2; Wednesday $5.74; Thursday $5.71 1/4. Chicago live cattle, June contract; Friday Closed; Monday $75.47; Tuesday $75.
Minnesota milk production in March rose 3 percent from a year earlier, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Minnesota farmers produced 734 million pounds from 450,000 cows in March. Production for the first three months totaled 2.11 billion pounds, also up 3 percent from the same period in 2005. California led all states in March with 3.4 billion pounds, up 6 percent from a year earlier. Wisconsin farmers produced just over 2 billion pounds in March, up 5 percent.
A former Becker County man was arrested early Friday after breaking into a White Earth business. Scott Roy, 36, now residing in Atlanta, Ga., was being held in the Becker County Jail in Detroit Lakes pending charges of allegedly breaking into M&W Foods Convenience Store. Becker County Sheriff Tim Gordon said deputies and White Earth tribal police responded to a burglary report from the store owner, who resides at the business. Darby McArthur was awakened by an individual who was in the business and then confronted him.
50 Years ago April 13, 1956 -- Detroit Lakes merchants have plans for their annual community spring showing of styles pretty well wrapped up. The event this year will be called "Springarama 1956." Contracts totaling $35,010 for an addition to the office section of the municipal plant were awarded by the city council. It is expected that work on the project will get underway this spring. Frank Karsnia of Frazee the first of the month will take over full-time management of the Lakes Dairy Co-Operative, headquartered in Detroit Lakes. Detroit Lakes' new toy firm -- Hytoland, Inc.
Two area attorneys are among three finalists for a judgeship for a Seventh Judicial District trial court bench vacancy in Fergus Falls. Gov. Tim Pawlenty has accepted the recommendations of the Commission on Judicial Selection for a Seventh Judicial District trial court bench vacancy in Fergus Falls in Otter Tail County. The opening occurred upon the death of Judge Thomas M. Stringer on Jan. 19. The Supreme Court certified the continuation of the chambers of this judgeship for Otter Tail County. The finalists are Jay D. Carlson, Timothy M. Churchwell, and Mark F.
U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman (R-Minn.) and give other congressional members met with Chinese President Hu Jintao Thursday. The meeting provided an opportunity to discuss ways to strengthen U.S.-China relations, while recognizing the challenges facing each country. Coleman is co-founder of the Senate China Working Group. President Hu repeated his desire to work with America as a friend and ally.