Staff writer at Detroit Lakes Newspapers for the past 14 years, currently editor of the entertainment and community pages as well as obituaries. Living in DL with my cat, Smokey.
- Member for
- 2 years 3 months
Four decades after Detroit Lakes' Damien Society members first started setting up mitten trees around town to gather mittens, hats and scarves for area children in need, the Damien Mitten Tree project is going stronger than ever. But this year's drive, which officially started on Friday, is tinged with sadness: The project's founder and chief cheerleader, Genevieve Kwako, passed away last week after a long illness. "We are definitely going to miss her," said DelRae Chivers, co-chair for this year's project, along with Sharon Sinclair. "She had a wicked sense of humor -- she always made u
An Oct. 9 nuclear test in North Korea made that tiny Asian nation the focus of a political firestorm. United Nations Security Council sanctions were imposed.
Looking for a job that pays well, offers good benefits, and allows you to play a role in keeping U.S. borders safe from terrorism, smuggling and illegal immigration? If you're a good tracker, proficient with firearms, and have a working knowledge of Spanish, the U.S. Border Patrol might just have the right job for you.
On Tuesday, the Detroit Lakes Wal-Mart SuperCenter joined 3,810 other Wal-Mart and Sam's Club stores across the country in offering the company's low-cost generic prescription program. Following a similar move by Target the previous week, Wal-Mart's 64 Minnesota stores began offering many generic, prescription drugs in a 30-day supply for just $4. Though Wal-Mart, Inc., launched the program in Florida in September, with intentions to spread outside the state in January 2007, Wal-Mart President and CEO Lee Scott said Monday that customer demand led it to accelerate the rollout of the progra
He's been nominated for Minnesota Teacher of the Year twice -- winning it once, in 1995. His students have advanced to regional, state and national competitions. He's saved scrapbooks filled with thank you notes from -- and articles filled with the accomplishments of -- former students and colleagues. Yet it's not the accolades that Gary Pieske will miss when he steps down from his position as a sales and marketing instructor at Minnesota State Community & Technical College (MSCTC) in Detroit Lakes at the end of December.
Though a cool, brisk wind was blowing through Detroit Lakes Monday evening, the weather was much more cooperative for the official launch of Detroit Lakes' holiday season than it had been in previous years. With more than 20 entries (plus a few last-minute additions), Santa's Grand Parade of Lights was a hit. "We had a good crowd out there this year," said Dave Hochhalter, president of the Detroit Lakes Chamber of Commerce. "There were a lot of really good displays...
With Thanksgiving just around the corner, are you ready to get into the holiday spirit? Michelle Wright is! The award-winning country music artist brings her 2006 Christmas tour to the stage of Detroit Lakes' Historic Holmes Theatre on Friday, Dec. 1, for a 7:30 p.m. concert. By her own estimation, Wright's fourth annual holiday tour will consist of "65 percent Christmas music." The other 35 percent will be comprised of some of the biggest hits of Wright's 16-year recording and performing career.
Once again, the Detroit Lakes School District has earned the praise of independent auditors hired to conduct the annual school financial audit. Representatives from the firm of Kern-DeWenter-Viere gave a presentation on the 2005-06 school audit at the DL School Board's November meeting. At the meeting, held Nov.
Though her day-to-day job as the Historic Holmes Theatre's new box office manager involves ticket sales and closing out the books each day, Becky Olson has found an outlet for her creative side as well. Since starting at the theater on Oct.
Music and art, art and music These two frequent companions will be paired once again at next weekend's Third Annual Juried Fine Art Show in Detroit Lakes' Historic Holmes Theatre. In addition to the dozens of local and regional artists whose work will be displayed throughout the day on Saturday and Sunday, Nov. 18-19, in the Holmes Ballroom, the adjacent Holmes Theatre will also house two free concerts. The first concert is the debut of the newly-formed Lakes Area Community Concert Band, scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 18.