The Detroit Lakes Chamber of Commerce is giving out a new award this year to celebrate "the impact and involvement of our community volunteers." The Splash Awards will be Oct. 3 and nominations are being accepted now.
There are seven awards that volunteers can be nominated for:
- The Wave Award "recognizes a business or organization" that promotes and invests in tourism in the hospitality industry.
- The Launch Award is for a "rising star" whose leadership and service helps the community grow.
- The Skipper Award acknowledges an individual's "commitment and service in the past year" to our area.
- The Lighthouse Award showcases a business that continues to show "commitment and service to our region."
- The Accelerator Award is given to an individual that helps "their friends, colleagues, family and/or community" get involved.
- The Ripple Award goes out to a club, group or nonprofit that makes people notice our area.
- The Beacon Award is awarded to someone who has shown a long-time commitment to benefiting our area.
All nominations must be turned in by Sept. 9.
Along with award nominations, the Splash Awards are also looking for $750, $500 and $250 sponsors. Those who would just like to attend the event can purchase tickets for $25 before Sept. 20. After that, they increase to $35.
More information on the event, sponsorship, tickets and how to nominate a business/individual is available by calling the Chamber of Commerce at 218-847-9202, stopping by during their business hours or emailing them at email@example.com.