Following is a list of COVID-19-related closures and cancellations around the area. If an event or entity is not listed here, do not assume that it is available as usual. Call ahead to be sure that services are available.
If you have a closing or cancellation to report, know of an event that is missing, or spot a mistake, email email@example.com.
The latest updates and additions will be in bold.
Memorial Day events
- Audubon's May 25 Memorial Day program is canceled for this year.
- Detroit Lakes' Memorial Day parade is canceled. A smaller program is planned Monday, May 25, at Veterans Memorial Park downtown.
- The Perham VFW and Auxiliary Post 4020 will not have events for Memorial Day, May 25.
- The Perham Masonic Lodge has canceled its May 25 Memorial Day Belgian Waffle Breakfast.
- Dent American Legion has canceled all Memorial Day Services for Monday, May 25, and has postponed the raffle until 2021.
Arts, entertainment and culture
- The 152nd Annual White Earth Reservation Celebration and Powwow, June 12-14, has been postponed. A final decision on a new date, or cancellation of this year's event, will come in June. whiteearth.com or www.facebook.com/WhiteEarthNation.
- Shooting Star casinos in Mahnomen and Bagley are closed. All upcoming events and concerts are canceled. www.starcasino.com or 800-453-7827.
- The Becker County Museum in Detroit Lakes is closed. Some classes and activities are online: beckercountyhistory.org.
- The History Museum of East Otter Tail County will be closed while the public schools are closed.
- The Great American Think-Off Debate, June 12 in New York Mills, is canceled. thinkoff.org.
- The Boys and Girls Thrift Store in Detroit Lakes has updated hours: 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday through Saturday; 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday. The thrift store is not accepting donations at this time. 218-844-6556.
- Washington Square Mall and JCPenney in Detroit Lakes are closed until further notice.
- SuLaine's Antique Mall in Detroit Lakes is temporarily closed.
- NAPA Auto Parts in Perham is closed.
- Arvig is temporarily limiting its retail centers to appointment-only. Arvig’s Customer Care team can assist at arvig.com, via online chat or by calling 888-992-7844. Customers who need to visit a retail center can schedule an appointment.
- ITOW in Perham is closed.
- Wild Goose and Goose Gang in Perham are closed. The Nest in Perham is open for drive-thru only, with limited menu, 6:30 a.m.-noon Monday through Friday, 7 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, and 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Sunday.
Outdoors, recreation and environment
- The 23rd Annual Festival of Birds, May 14-15 in Detroit Lakes, is canceled.
- All operations and events at Detroit Mountain Recreation Area are suspended. 218-844-SNOW or detroitmountain.com.
- The Visitor Center at Tamarac National Wildlife Refuge is closed until further notice, and all public events and activities are canceled until it reopens. Refuge trails, fishing and hunting accesses remain open. Visit the Refuge's Facebook page for updates.
- All University of Minnesota Extension face-to-face events, meetings and courses are canceled through June 30. Clinics will continue with questions being answered via phone, 218-846-7328, or email, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Sixth Annual Antique & Classic Boat Show, June 27, and 14th Annual Quake the Lake Powerboat Races, June 27-28 in Detroit Lakes, are postponed, and may be canceled for 2020.
Government, community centers, classes and programs
- All Minnesota schools are closed for the remainder of the school year. Distance learning programs will continue.
- Lake Agassiz Regional Library has canceled all events, programs, homebound deliveries and meetings at its facilities — including the Detroit Lakes Public Library — through the end of May, and all locations will be closed to the public until further notice. A number of virtual resources, including information on curbside pickup of library materials, can be accessed online at larl.org.
- The Perham Area Public Library is closed, with no more curbside pickup. All library programs and events have also been canceled. Electronic resources, such as Overdrive, Hoopla and Tumblebooks, are accessible through perhamlibrary.org. Any person needing to file for unemployment benefits will be able to file online at the library by making an appointment. Call 218-346-4892.
- The New York Mills Public Library is closed until further notice. Some online resources are still available. 218-385-2436.
- Mahube-Otwa Community Action has closed all of its offices to the public, though its staff will still be providing assistance via telephone and online. People can also drop off paperwork (applications, forms, etc.) in the boxes placed outside the lobby of its offices in Detroit Lakes, Park Rapids, Mahnomen, Fergus Falls and Wadena.
- In the City of Perham: City Hall (open regular hours, no public access; 346-4455); Public Works Garage (no public access); Emergency Services Building (regular hours, no public access; 346-4452); Landmark Liquors (regular hours).
- In the City of Detroit Lakes: City Hall is still open regular hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday-Friday), but with no public access; all other city office locations are also closed to the public, but staff can still be reached via phone (218-847-5658) or email.
- The Detroit Lakes Community & Cultural Center and Historic Holmes Theatre facilities are closed until May 18. This includes the Detroit Lakes Senior Center/Holmes Art Cellar. Members' 24/7 access to the center's fitness facilities has been suspended as well. All Holmes Theatre shows through May 15 are postponed or canceled. 218-844-4221, dlccc.org and Facebook.
- The Perham Area Community Center is closed; this closure includes those with 24/7 access.
- Perham Senior Center is closed until further notice.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Detroit Lakes is closed while local schools are closed.
Health and medical
- Azure Vision Care in Perham is closed. Azure is still available for urgent eye care and post-operative exams. 218-346-3310.
- Lakeland Mental Health Center is not taking walk-in appointments and visitors at its offices, including Detroit Lakes (218-847-1676) and Perham (218-736-6987). Services are available using telehealth and/or telephonic methods.
- Perham's Thrifty White Pharmacy, 211 Market Drive, Suite C, has reduced hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday. Thrifty White can offer free mail delivery of maintenance medications; enroll at 218-346-4840.
- Naturopathic physician Joan Waters has suspended her monthly health talks at the Healing Hub in Detroit Lakes until further notice.
Events and meetings
- The Hawley American Heroes PRCA Rodeo, June 5-6 at the rodeo grounds in Hawley, is canceled. The 20th annual Breakfast on the Farm event set for May 30 in Hawley is also canceled.
- The Memorial Day Potluck Dinner at Egelund Church northeast of Detroit Lakes is canceled. 218-847-9127.
- Detroit Lakes High School's graduation ceremony is postponed to 2:30 p.m. Sunday, June 28, at Mollberg Field.
- The Dent Community Club's City-Wide Sale (May 14) and the 2020 Dent Daze events (July 9) are canceled.
- The 2020 Sisters & Whiskers fundraiser for the Humane Society of the Lakes, which was to take place in June at Seven Sisters Spirits, is canceled.
- The 20th Annual Street Faire at the Lakes, May 29-30, is postponed until Aug. 21-22. dlstreetfaire.com
- The Veterans Invitational Golf Classic, June 26 at Forest Hills golf course in Detroit Lakes, is canceled.
- The United Way of Becker County's Celebration of Heroes, May 13 at the Holmes Theatre, is postponed indefinitely. 218-847-0727, www.uwbcmn.org.
- The Grief Share and Caring Cup recovery support groups at the David-Donehower Funeral Home, Detroit Lakes, are suspended until further notice.
- Perham Area Chamber of Commerce's 2020 Chamber Golf Scramble May 22 is postponed until Aug. 21.
As a public service, we have opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status.