On Wednesday, March 25, Gov. Tim Walz issued an order requiring Minnesotans to stay in place from 11:59 p.m. Friday, March 27, through 5 p.m. Friday, April 10, prompting pretty much all events scheduled for the next couple of weeks to be canceled or put on hold.
Following is a list of closures and cancellations we have received from around the area. If an event or entity is not listed here, do not assume that it is available as usual. Call ahead to be sure that services are available. If you have a closing or cancellation to report, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The latest updates and additions will be in bold.
Shooting Star casinos in Mahnomen and Bagley are closed. All upcoming events and concerts are canceled, including Smash Mouth (April 10), America (April 24) and Nazareth (May 8). www.starcasino.com or 800-453-7827.
The April 24 "Rock 'n Soul Meets Gospel" concert by the Lakes Area Chorale in Detroit Lakes has been canceled.
The April 3 New Standards show at the Holmes Theatre in Detroit Lakes is canceled.
- All operations and events at Detroit Mountain Recreation Area have been suspended until further notice. 218-844-SNOW or detroitmountain.com.
The History Museum of East Otter Tail County will be closed while the public schools are closed.
- Hawley Art Show, April 2-5, is canceled. 218-483-3296 or email@example.com.
- The Backstage at the Holmes concert with Jessica Vines, Thursday, April 9, has been canceled. 218-844-7469.
A Tribute to Glen Campbell concert, Saturday, April 18, has been canceled. Those who have tickets that would like to receive a refund should contact the Perham Center for the Arts.
The Bridge Mobile Pantry in Perham is suspended until further notice. The Mobile Pantry normally goes to Richville and Ottertail on the first Tuesday of the month, followed by Vergas and Dent on Wednesday. Clients can call 218-346-6181 if they need an emergency box.
Azure Vision Care in Perham is closed, with a planned reopening April 6. Azure is still available for urgent eye care and post-operative exams. 218-346-3310.
NAPA Auto Parts in Perham is closed.
Lakeland Mental Health Center is not taking walk-in appointments and visitors at its offices, including Detroit Lakes (218-847-1676) and Perham (218-736-6987). Services are available using telehealth and/or telephonic methods.
- The Boys and Girls Thrift Store in Detroit Lakes has reduced hours: 11 a.m.-7 p.m. Monday through Saturday; donation doors open 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday hours are unchanged: open noon to 5 p.m., donation doors closed.
Perham's Thrifty White Pharmacy, 211 Market Drive, Suite C, has reduced hours: 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Monday-Friday, 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, closed Sunday. Thrifty White can offer free mail delivery of your maintenance medications; enroll at 218-346-4840.
Arvig is temporarily limiting its retail centers to appointment-only. Arvig’s Customer Care team can assist at arvig.com, via online chat or by calling 888-992-7844. Customers who need to visit a retail center can schedule an appointment.
ITOW in Perham is closed.
Wild Goose, Goose Gang and Nest in Perham are closed through April 12.
Washington Square Mall and JCPenney in Detroit Lakes are closed through April 2.
- SuLaine's Antique Mall in Detroit Lakes is temporarily closed.
- The Perham Area Chamber Choice Awards banquet, set for April 2 at The Cactus, has been rescheduled. The event will take place sometime in May, according to a release from the chamber. In addition, the chamber's April Power Hour meeting has been canceled; the next meeting will be May 12.
Government, community centers, classes and programs
- The Senior Driver Safety Course Tuesday, March 31, at the Frazee High School Media Center is canceled. 218-346-3336 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The New York Mills Public Library is closed until further notice. All library programs and events are also canceled. These library resources are still available: Digital collections on the Libby and Hoopla apps; library website; Wi-Fi can be accessed for a limited distance outside of the library. 218-385-2436.
- Mahube-Otwa Community Action has closed all of its offices to the public, though its staff will still be providing assistance via telephone and online. People can also drop off paperwork (applications, forms, etc.) in the boxes placed outside the lobby of its offices in Detroit Lakes, Park Rapids, Mahnomen, Fergus Falls and Wadena.
The White Earth Reservation Business Committee has suspended all nonessential government activity for two weeks beginning Monday, March 23.
In the City of Perham: City Hall (open regular hours, no public access; 346-4455); Public Works Garage (no public access); Emergency Services Building (regular hours, no public access; 346-4452); Landmark Liquors (regular hours).
All University of Minnesota Extension face-to-face events, meetings and courses are canceled through May 15. This includes the Becker County Master Gardeners Plant, Pest and Gardening Clinics that were to start Monday, May 4.
The Perham Area Public Library is closed, with no more curbside pickup. All library programs and events have also been canceled. Electronic resources, such as Overdrive, Hoopla and Tumblebooks, are accessible through perhamlibrary.org. Any person needing to file for unemployment benefits will be able to file online at the library by making an appointment. Call 218-346-4892.
- Lake Agassiz Regional Library has canceled all events, programs, homebound deliveries and meetings at its facilities — including the Detroit Lakes Public Library — through the end of April, and all locations will be closed to the public until further notice. A number of virtual resources can be accessed online. Visit larl.org for details.
- The Detroit Lakes Community & Cultural Center and Historic Holmes Theatre facilities are closed. This includes the Detroit Lakes Senior Center/Holmes Art Cellar facilities on the basement level, and members' 24/7 access to the center's fitness facilities has been suspended during the closure as well.
- The Perham Area Community Center is closed; this closure includes those with 24/7 access.
- Perham Senior Center has been closed until further notice.
- The Boys & Girls Club of Detroit Lakes will be closed while local schools are closed.
- The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources spring deer open houses have been canceled, and may be rescheduled at later dates.
The Thursday SAIL exercise classes at the Vergas Event Center and Neighbor to Neighbor (N2N) building in Frazee are canceled. The Senior Socials, the first and third Thursday of the month at N2N, are also canceled.
Events and meetings
Perham's Tactical Defense Systems permit-to-carry classes are suspended until further notice.
The April 25 banquet of the Smokey Hills Chapter of the Minnesota Deer Hunters Association at the Frazee Event Center has been postponed to Aug. 15. The banquet starts with a 4:30 p.m. social hour.
The 2020 United Way of Becker County Day of Caring that was set for May 6 is canceled.
The United Way Celebration of Heroes has been postponed until Wednesday, May 13.
The Lakes Crisis & Resource Center's 30th Anniversary Banquet and Auction on April 18 is canceled.
The April 1 meeting of the Detroit Lakes Park Board has been canceled.
The Minnesota Deer Hunters Banquet, scheduled for April 4 at Playtime Sports Bar south of Perham, has been postponed to Aug. 29.
The Vergas Maple Syrup Festival April 4 has been postponed. Also, Maplewood State Park has canceled its Maple Syrup Demonstration Day event, set for the same day.
A Rummage and Bake Sale April 3 at Zion Lutheran Church in Detroit Lakes has been postponed.
- The fish dinner at St. Henry’s Church Basement in Perham has been canceled for April 3.
- The Wednesday, April 8, meeting of Detroit Lakes Chapter 1852, National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association (NARFE), has been canceled.
The Thursday, April 9, meeting of the Heart O'Lakes Genealogical Society has been canceled.
Citizens’ Climate Lobby, Fergus Falls Chapter, has canceled the Happy Birthday, Earth Day, event that had been scheduled for Friday, April 24, at Legacy Hall in Fergus Falls, featuring Will Steger.
- The Becker County Republican Party has rescheduled its party convention to April 18 at Spitfire Bar and Grill in Detroit Lakes. The Congressional Republican Convention (CD7) is scheduled for May 1 and 2, in Walker. The April meeting of the Becker County Republicans will be April 9 at HUB 41.
- The Grief Share weekly recovery support group that meets Wednesdays in the David-Donehower Funeral Home, Detroit Lakes, has been suspended until April 15.
The Caring Cup support group for community members who are dealing with the loss of a loved one, which meets on the second and last Wednesday of every month at the David-Donehower Funeral Home in Detroit Lakes, has been suspended until April 15.
A presentation by climate scientist Mark Seeley Thursday, April 2, at the Center for the Arts in Fergus Falls has been canceled.
The Spring Assembly for Minnesota North Area Al-Anon, April 4-5 at the Grand Rapids Eagles Club, has been canceled.
- Perham Health's Healthy Futures 2020 event, Thursday, April 16, has been postponed until further notice.
The April 24 Feed My Starving Children Mobile Food Pack event Pack at the PACC has been postponed until Sept. 11-12 at the Perham Area Community Center.
The Gathering: Sporting Collectibles, Art and Fish and Duck Decoys, April 18-19 at the Perham Area Community Center, is postponed to 2021. www.nfdadecoys.org.
As a public service, we have opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status.