Sections

Weather Forecast

Close

Downtown Detroit Lakes once had a bit o'Irish in it

This structure, known as the Irish Block, once stood approximately where La Barista is now, at the corner of Holmes and Washington in downtown Detroit Lakes. (Photo courtesy of Becker County Museum)

On the west side of Washington Avenue, at the Holmes Street intersection, there once was a building known as the Irish Block — named after the man who built it, Jeff Irish. Over the years, the building became home to Carlisle Hardware, Schaffer's ready-to-wear store and Mayeron's Clothing.

Today, this corner is part of the Washington Square Mall complex, and is home to La Barista.

Vicki Gerdes

Staff writer at Detroit Lakes Newspapers for the past 18-plus years, currently editor of the entertainment and community pages as well as covering city council and the Detroit Lakes School Board. 

(218) 844-1454