'Just a fun run for old sleds': Vintage snowmobile show and ride brings hundreds to Lake Park
Despite blowing snow and frigid temperatures, the Old Timers Snowmobile Run brought hundreds of riders and vintage snowmobile lovers to Lake Park on Feb. 5.
If the standing-room-only crowd inside Lake Park Liquor Store on the morning of Feb. 5 was any indication, the day's blowing snow and frigid temperatures were no deterrent to success for the annual Old Timers Snowmobile Show and Run.
Hosted by the Midnite Riders Snowmobile Club, the event drew several hundred sleds to the lot outside the liquor store for the start of the run, with several taking part in the judging held prior to the event, as well.
"We have about 120 sleds out there for the trophy show, and there's going to be 400-500 sleds leaving from here (for the run), with more joining in along the trail," said Tom Holmes, trails coordinator for the Midnite Riders.
Holmes noted that there was no set course for the run; riders could choose to take any route to enjoy the hospitality of the eight stops along the way, including the Lake Park and Audubon liquor stores as well as Pit 611, Hooligan's, TJ's Bar & Bistro, Cormorant Inn, Cormorant Pub and the Roadhouse.
"There's no particular way you have to go," Holmes said. "It's just a fun run for old sleds."
Prior to the 10:30 a.m. start of the run itself, early attendees were able to view a wide range of vintage sleds on display.
"We have everything from the really early vintages, early 1960s and even a couple of '40s and '50s, up through 1997 (models)," Holmes said, adding that while all sleds could participate in the run itself, regardless of age, only those at least 25 years old were eligible for entry in the show that preceded it.
Midnite Riders Snowmobile Show Results
Trophy winners for the vintage snowmobile show held in conjunction with the Old Timers Snowmobile Show were as follows:
- Kids' Class: Brenner and Marvin Knutson, Frazee
- Rat Class: Tyler Brock, Lake Park
- Custom Class: Keith Hovelson, Cormorant
- Sleds 1974 and Older: Paul Hogenson, Audubon
- Sleds 1975 and Newer: Duane Musolf, Lake Park
- Sleds 1969 and Older: First place, Randy Lefebfvre, Detroit Lakes; 2nd place, Bryan Nordhagen, Fargo
- 1970-73 Class: First place, Kip Bailey, Borup; 2nd place, Dustin Knutson, Frazee
- 1974-80 Class: First place, Howard Olson, Detroit Lakes; 2nd place, Mike Carik, Fargo.
- Sleds 1981 and Newer: First place, J. Blake, Detroit Lakes; 2nd place, Jenny Knutson, Frazee.
- Best of Show: Randy Lefebvre, Detroit Lakes.