Crime and fire report: Thieves cut and replaced lock in burglary at DL storage unit
On Tuesday, Jan. 4 at 2:46 p.m., on the 1300 block of 8th Street, Detroit Lakes, a storage unit was burglarized. The unit leaseholder noticed their key wasn't working for their unit and discovered their lock had been cut and replaced. Once inside, the leaseholder noticed a television, a set of golf clubs and a portable heater were stolen, among other items. They will compile a finalize list of the missing items for law enforcement.
The following reports were compiled from the Becker County Sheriff’s Office and Detroit Lakes Police Department from an official with knowledge of the cases, unless otherwise noted.
Monday, Jan. 3
- 1:40 a.m., near 353rd Circle, Ogema, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries.
- 7:24 a.m., 27000 block County Road 9, Lake Park, single-vehicle rollover. No injuries.
- 7:39 a.m., near County Road 21, Detroit Lakes, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries.
- 11:06 a.m., 36000 block Loon Drive, Ogema, domestic incident. The caller reported their daughter was being held against her will by her boyfriend. The caller also indicated the boyfriend had stolen money from her. Upon arrival, officers deemed no physical assault occurred. The boyfriend wasn’t at the residence. No medical attention was required and they gave a woman information on abuse resources in the area.
- 3:48 p.m., 200 block Roosevelt Avenue, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 4:10 p.m., near south River Drive, Frazee, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries. A tow was required.
- 5:56 p.m., 32000 block Mary Yellowhead Road, Ogema, snowmobile rollover. A 58-year-old man was transported to a nearby medical clinic with an apparent lower back injury.
- 6:49 p.m., 600 block 5th Street, Audubon, suicide related. A 36-year-old man made threats of self-harm at an AA meeting. The man was reportedly drinking, smoking marijuana and possessed a loaded handgun. Upon arrival, the man told officers he was not suicidal and did not require evaluation.
RELATED: For more information on local Crime and Court news, check out our Crime and Courts section.
Tuesday, Jan. 4
- 7:11 a.m., near East Pearl Lake Road and Pearl Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries.
- 7:38 a.m., 1200 block Lake Avenue, Detroit Lakes, theft. The caller claims some of their prescription medication was stolen.
- 9:38 a.m., 36000 block Marten Drive, Ogema, two-vehicle crash causing minor damage. One of the vehicles was parked. No injuries.
- 10:23 a.m., near Highway 59 and Highway 34, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 10:41 a.m., Becker County, drug related.
- 11:42 a.m., near south Lake Street and east Juniper Avenue, Frazee, Burlington Northern reported a 20-gallon leak of hydraulic fluid. The company cleaned up the spill.
- 2:14 p.m., 300 block Park Lake Boulevard, Detroit Lakes, unemployment claim fraud.
- 2:46 p.m., 1300 block 8th Street, Detroit Lakes, a lock was cut on a storage unit and replaced with a different lock that needed to be cut to gain entry to the unit. A television, golf clubs and portable heater were stolen, among other items. The caller will compile a list of the missing items.
- 5:34 p.m., 800 block Summit Avenue, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 5:35 p.m., 19000 block County Road 117, Frazee, a vehicle struck a deer. No injuries.
- 6:43 p.m., near Highway 34 and County Road 56, Detroit Lakes, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. The steering column appeared to be damaged. The vehicle appeared to be abandoned.
- 8:01 p.m., 200 block west Cedar Avenue, Frazee, possible domestic incident. Officers were unable to locate one of the parties.
Wednesday, Jan. 5
- 2:31 a.m., near Shell River Trail and Highway 34, Osage, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries.
- 6:45 a.m., near mile marker 41 on Highway 10, Becker County, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries. A tow was required.
- 10:17 a.m., 28000 block 471st Avenue, Ponsford, a vehicle was reported off the roadway. No injuries.
- 2:28 p.m., 19000 block 428th Avenue, Frazee, unemployment claim fraud.
- 8:41 p.m., 1200 block 8th Street, Detroit Lakes, a space heater was reportedly smoking. No fire.