Canada's the Good Lovelies are bringing their immensely popular Christmas show to Detroit Lakes' Historic Holmes Theatre on Saturday, Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m. What better way to celebrate the season than with classic holiday and winter selections polished to a warm and welcoming glow?
The aptly named Good Lovelies are Caroline Brooks, Kerri Ough and Sue Passmore. All of them best friends, the Ontario-based trio relies on impeccable vocals, winsome songwriting and on stage banter drawn from a seemingly endless succession of comedic adventures on the road and at home.
Accompanying the Good Lovelies is their band of merry men - Steve Zsirai on upright bass, Robbie Grunwald on keys and Mark Mariash on drums. This six-piece will have you humming along, laughing, and full of mirth by the show's end.
Audiences have been falling in love with the Good Lovelies for the past 10 years. Winners of the 2010 Juno Award (Canada's version of the Grammy) for Roots Album of the Year, and nominees for the same award in 2012, as well as four-time winners at the Canadian Folk Music Awards, the Good Lovelies having been making waves across Canada. Touring life also takes these women across the United States, the United Kingdom, Europe and Australia.
Come celebrate the season with the Good Lovelies and show sponsors Essentia Health-St. Mary's of Detroit Lakes. Tickets for the Dec. 8 show are $25 for adults and $12.50 for students - or buy one adult ticket and get one student ticket free of charge. Reserve your seats online at www.dlccc.org/holmes.html, by phone at 218-844-7469, or at the Holmes Theatre box office located at 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes. Tickets will also be available at the door the night of the show.
Holiday Entertainment Calendar
• REO Speedwagon, Shooting Star Casino, 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 7. Tickets: Sold out, but phone 1-800-313-SHOW (7469) to check on last minute availability.
• Holy Rocka Rollaz, Top Hat Theatre, Ulen, 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 8. Tickets: By phone at 218-596-8853, online at www.thetophattheatre.com, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at the Ulen-Hitterdal School office in Ulen.
• Heart O'Lakes Men's Barbershop Chorus presents "A Christmas of Peace and Harmony," Trinity Lutheran Church, Pelican Rapids, at 3 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 9. Free admission, but an offering will be taken to help support area families in need during the holiday season. More information at www.facebook.com/heartolakes.
• Larry Long "Water Protectors" Concert with Winona LaDuke, Historic Holmes Theatre, Detroit Lakes, 6 p.m. (doors open at 5 p.m.) Wednesday, Dec. 12. Tickets: Online at www.honortheearth.org/larrylongconcert.
• Simple Gifts with Billy McLaughlin: "A Small Town Christmas," Cultural Center, New York Mills, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13. Tickets: By phone at 218-385-3339, online at www.kulcher.org, or at the Cultural Center, 24 N. Main Ave., New York Mills. (Note: This is an unplugged, intimate version of the full show happening in Detroit Lakes Dec. 14.)
• "A Magical Medora Christmas," Park Rapids High School Auditorium, Park Rapids, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 13. Tickets: Online at https://medora.com or at the Park Rapids Chamber of Commerce, 1204 Park Ave. S., Park Rapids.
• Simple Gifts: "Christmastide," Historic Holmes Theatre, Detroit Lakes, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14. Tickets: Online at www.dlccc.org/holmes.html, by phone at 218-844-SHOW (7469), or at the Holmes Theatre box office, 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes.
• "A Magical Medora Christmas," Detroit Lakes Middle School George Simson Auditorium, Detroit Lakes, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Dec. 14. Tickets: Online at https://medora.com or at the Historic Holmes Theatre box office, 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes.
• Lakes Area Community Concert Band, First Lutheran Church, Detroit Lakes, 4 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 15. Free admission, but an offering will be taken to help support the band. More information at www.lakesareaband.com.
• Rock & Roll Christmas, Historic Holmes Theatre, Detroit Lakes, 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20. Tickets: Online at www.dlccc.org/holmes.html, by phone at 218-844-SHOW (7469), or at the Holmes Theatre box office, 806 Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes.
• Lee Greenwood Holiday Show, Shooting Star Casino, Mahnomen, 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 21. Tickets: By phone at 1-800-313-SHOW (7469), online at www.StarCasino.com/tickets, or via the "Buy Tickets" tab on Shooting Star's Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/ShootingStarCasino.