Students and staff at Detroit Lakes' Holy Rosary Catholic School will be celebrating National Catholic Schools Week starting this Sunday, Jan. 31 and concluding on Friday, Feb. 5, with a series of fun events held throughout the week.
The schedule will be as follows:
- Sunday, Jan. 31: Celebrating Our Parish Day, with opening masses at 9 a.m. (for families with last names beginning in the letters A-L) and 11 a.m. (for families with last names beginning with M-Z). Holy Rosary students will be leading the service.
- Monday, Feb. 1: Celebrating Our Nation with "Comfy Cozy Day." Students and staff are encouraged to wear pajamas, sweats, slippers, or whatever attire they feel the most comfortable in — but don't forget to bring along some sneakers for gym class! The day's schedule begins at 8:15 a.m. with morning prayers, followed by a short presentation on the TeacHaiti project (teachaiti.org). Students in each class will then compete throughout the week with "Penny Wars" to raise funds for TeacHaiti. There will be movies in each classroom starting at 1 p.m., with popcorn provided by the Holy Rosary Parent-Teacher Organization (PTO).
- Tuesday, Feb. 2: Celebrating Our Families with "Country Western Day." Students and staff are encouraged to "dress up" in jeans, flannels and boots. The afternoon classes will each include a crafting session for students to make something for their families.
- Wednesday, Feb. 3: Celebrating Our Community with "Hat Day." Hats of all shapes and sizes are encouraged (though they must be removed for mass and during lunch). Afternoon classes will work on suncatcher valentines to be delivered to local nursing home residents and school volunteers.
- Thursday, Feb. 4: Celebrating Our Students with "Crazy Hair/Mismatch Day." Mismatched clothes and "crazy" hairdos are the order of the day. Character Trait Awards will be presented to all students at 8:15 a.m., following morning prayers. The afternoon session will consist of a scavenger hunt, with each student cohort forming a team.
- Friday, Feb. 5: Celebrating Our Teachers, Staff and Volunteers with "Class Choice Day." Each class will choose their own dress-up theme for the day. Morning prayers will be focused on faculty, staff and volunteers. The afternoon session will feature "free choice" activities as voted on by each classroom.
There will also be ongoing activities throughout the week such as "Spirit Olympics" games during gym classes, a "guessing jar" in each classroom, school trivia questions each morning, the above-mentioned "Penny Wars" competition between classes and a visit to each class from school superintendent Father Chuck Huck, who will be speaking about vocations.
For more information about Holy Rosary Catholic School, visit the website at holyrosarycs.org. For more information about Catholic Schools Week, visit the National Catholic Educational Association website at ncea.org/csw.