The Becker County Transfer and Landfill station sustained "significant fire damage" after a Monday night fire.
Becker County Fire Chief Scott Flynn said it is believed that garbage caught on fire.
"It's hard to say what people put in (the landfill)," Flynn said this morning.
Steve Skoog, the Administrator for the Environmental Services, and Flynn both are unsure of what sparked the fire. It could be from combustion, ashes, rags or many other things, they said.
Nobody was inside of the building when the fire happened around 7:30 p.m., so there were no injuries. The building itself has "significant fire damage to it," Flynn said.
"There's a lot of damage as far as it goes," Skoog said. "It was hot enough in here that heat started melting everything."
Many of the sky lights are melted through, the walls have discoloration and the two loaders that were inside have the tops melted off. There's a strong smell of melted plastic and garbage in the building as well.
According to Tribune archives, the Transfer Station building opened in 2017. It has a 12-foot-high concrete foundation, a 38-foot-high ceiling and 16,000 square feet of steel building. It cost $2.9 million to build, which was partially paid for through a state grant.
The Audubon, Callaway and Detroit Lakes Fire Department, along with the St. Mary EMS and Becker County Sheriff's Department, had the fire "contained within an hour, but we were there for about three hours," Flynn said.
The transfer and landfill are still open and operational; the building of the fire is just not being used. Skoog hopes to repair it and get back to their future development plans.
"This is a temporary setback, hopefully," he said.