Candle causes fire in Andrews Street townhome Monday afternoon
The Detroit Lakes Fire Department responded to a fire on the 400 block of Andrews Avenue just before 4 p.m. Monday.
According to DLFD Chief Scott Flynn, the fire was caused by a candle in an upstairs bedroom of a Union Square Townhomes unit. He says some minors were home when the fire started and, when the mother of the children came home, she noticed smoke and was able to put out the flames.
Extensive smoke remained in the unit, so the fire department stayed on scene for some time, waiting for the smoke to clear and for an assessment from the state fire marshal.
Flynn says the unit has quite a bit of smoke damage and a mess from the fire extinguisher, but it's been turned back over to the renters.