Tuesday, March 9, is Election Day for most Becker County townships, with all polls open from 5 to 8 p.m. unless their respective town boards opt to extend voting hours. Most townships will hold their annual meetings either before or after the election.
Five townships in Becker County — Eagle View, Evergreen, Forest, Maple Grove and Round Lake — have opted to hold their elections in November, as part of the general election. In the remaining 32 townships, positions up for election are for supervisor (three years) and treasurer (two years).
Here is the election and annual meeting information for all 32 townships in the county that will be voting Tuesday:
- Atlanta Township: Incumbent supervisor Beau Jacobson running unopposed. Meeting at 8:15 p.m., at Atlanta Town Hall.
- Audubon Township: Polling at the Audubon Community Center, meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Burlington Township: Incumbents Richard Billett (supervisor) and Kylene Hoard (treasurer) unopposed. Polls open 4 to 8 p.m., meeting at 8:15 p.m., all at the Frazee Event Center, 114 North Lake St., Frazee.
- Callaway Township: Incumbents Roger Winter (supervisor) and Colleen Weigel (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Callaway Town Hall, meeting is 3:30 to 5 p.m.
- Carsonville Township: Three seats will be up for election, including one 3-year supervisor's position and another 1-year supervisor's position, as well as a 2-year treasurer's position. Incumbent Harvey Haravala unopposed for three-year supervisor's post; Steve Lynburner is seeking one-year supervisor term; incumbent Kathy Pachel unopposed for treasurer. Polling at the Carsonville Town Hall in Ponsford; meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Cormorant Township: Incumbents John Buhaug (supervisor) and Susan Braseth (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Cormorant Community Center, meeting at 8:15 p.m. Call 218-532-7042 to participate in meeting remotely.
- Cuba Township: Poling Cuba Town Hall, 26080 Co. Hwy. 9, Lake Park; meeting at 8:05 p.m.
- Detroit Township: Incumbents Charles Jasken (supervisor) and Charles "Chuck" Jost (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Detroit Town Hall, 26134 N. Tower Road, Detroit Lakes; meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Erie Township: Incumbent Gerry Schram unopposed for supervisor; treasurer's position to be filled by write-in. Polling at the Erie Township Hall; meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Green Valley Township: Three-year supervisor's position to be filled by write-in ballot; incumbent treasurer Dave Keranen is running unopposed. Polling at Green Valley Town Hall; meeting at approximately 8:05 p.m.
- Hamden Township: Incumbents Albin Warling (supervisor) and Marlene Dahlberg (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Hamden Town Hall, meeting at 4:30 p.m. in the same location.
- Height of Land Township: Incumbents Craig Hall (supervisor) and Nancy Stenger (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Height of Land Town Hall; meeting to follow.
- Holmesville Township: Incumbent Peter Randolph (supervisor) and candidate Denise Warweg (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Holmesville Town Hall, meeting at 8 p.m.
- Lake Eunice Township: Incumbents Edward Clem and Jason Rosing are both running unopposed for the two supervisor positions; no filings for treasurer, but incumbent Ann Hixson willing to serve again through write-in votes. Polling at Lake Eunice Town Hall, 12708 Townhall Road, Audubon; meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Lake Park Township: Incumbents Lonna Musolf (supervisor) and Bradley Lindstrom (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Lake Park Township Hall, meeting to follow.
- Lake View Township: Polling at Lake View Town Hall, 25933 130th St., Detroit Lakes; meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Osage Township: Incumbent supervisor Nicole Schluter is running against Chris Longfors and Jeff Tretbar, while incumbent treasurer Petra Hartness will face challenger Kandess Erickson. Polling at Osage Community Center, 24770 Co. Hwy. 48, Osage.
- Pine Point Township: Polling at Pine Point Town Hall, meeting at 8:15 pm.
- Riceville Township: Incumbents Wilhelm Walther (supervisor) and Amy Bergren (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Riceville Town Hall, meeting to follow.
- Richwood Township: Incumbents Roger Foltz (supervisor) and Lowell Jorgenson (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling from 4:30 to 8 p.m. at Richwood Town Hall, 26000 250th St., Callaway. Annual meeting at 4 p.m.
- Runeberg Township: Incumbents Mark Spadgenske (supervisor) and Ray Skaro (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Runeberg Township Hall, meeting at 8 p.m.
- Savannah Township: Incumbents Vernon M. Scholz (supervisor) and Michael N. Thelen (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Savannah Town Hall, 36387 Hwy. 46, Park Rapids, meeting to follow.
- Shell Lake Township: Incumbents Melvin Longfors (supervisor) and Aune Longfors (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Shell Lake Town Hall, meeting to follow.
- Silver Leaf Township: Running unopposed are incumbent Erik Ehnert I (three-year supervisor), candidate Charles Mayfield (one-year supervisor) and incumbent Rebecca Fett (treasurer). Polling at Silver Leaf Township Hall, meeting to follow.
- Spring Creek Township: Incumbents Vance Jirava (supervisor) and Ryan Groth (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Spring Creek Township Hall, meeting to follow.
- Spruce Grove Township: Incumbents Mark Skoog (supervisor) and Mavis Huwe (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Spruce Grove Town Hall, meeting at 8:05 p.m.
- Sugar Bush Township: Incumbent supervisor Larry Michaelson facing challenger John Swires. Polling at Sugar Bush Town Hall, meeting to follow.
- Toad Lake Township: Incumbents Shauna Yliniemi (supervisor) and James Yliniemi (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Toad Lake Township Hall, meeting to follow.
- Two Inlets Township: Incumbents Katie Kueber (supervisor) and Dennis Wright (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at Two Inlets Township Hall, meeting at 8:15 p.m.
- Walworth Township: Supervisor Rodney Hamernik running unopposed. Polling at Walworth Town Hall, meeting at 4 p.m. in the same location.
- White Earth Township: Incumbents Douglas Fabre (supervisor) and Kelly Mindt (treasurer) running. Polling at the White Earth Fire Hall, west of White Earth Village on County Highway 34., meeting at 8:05 p.m.
- Wolf Lake Township: Incumbents Mike Chapman (supervisor) and James Mayfield (treasurer) running unopposed. Polling at the Wolf Lake Lions Hall, meeting to follow.
Information on who is running for the open positions in Audubon, Cuba, Lake View and Pine Point townships was not available at press time. Those unable to attend the election in person can obtain an absentee ballot by contacting the Becker County Auditor-Treasurer, 915 Lake Ave., Detroit Lakes, either in person or by phone at 218-846-7311; hours are Monday through Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., with extended hours on Saturday, March 6, 10 a.m.-3 p.m.; and Monday, March 8, 8 a.m.-5 p.m.
In case of inclement weather, the alternate date for in-person voting and annual meeting business in most townships is Tuesday, March 16, at the same times and locations listed above. Call your township clerk for more information.