Becker County crime and fire report: May 2-8
A property owner found a burglar in their basement, a girl at a convenience store was approached by a man wanting pictures of her feet, a train was seen leaking an unknown fluid, and other recent crime and fire reports from around Becker County.
Monday, May 2
- 12:15 a.m., Shoplifting reported at a business along Highway 10, Detroit Lakes.
- 3:21 a.m., Man knocking on a door on Loon Drive, Ogema. Police are investigating.
- 8:05 a.m., Individual parked at a gas pump for more than 40 minutes, but not getting gas. When police checked on the suspicious behavior, it was discovered the individual was talking with their boss.
- 9:09 a.m., Neighbors were arguing regarding a shared driveway along Snowshoe Beach Road, Lake Park. Officers advised parties to consider a restraining order.
- 12:11 p.m., Tools made to conduct burglaries were reported at a business along Highway 10, Detroit Lakes. Investigation is pending.
- 12:33 p.m., Vehicle left the roadway along County Highway 11, Audubon. Driver was the sole occupant and needed to be extricated. Before the driver was airlifted to Fargo, N.D. for treatment, the individual noted they may have fallen asleep.
- 2:06 p.m., Door at Long Lake Park, Detroit Lakes, was vandalized. It appeared someone tried to kick the door in.
- 3:25 p.m., Door open and window broken at a residence along Powwow Highway, Ponsford.
- 3:42 p.m., Door-to-door salesman reported for suspicious behavior along Broadway Avenue, Detroit Lakes
- 4:58 p.m., Trespass warning given to an individual walking on railroad tracks.
- 6:17 p.m., Door-to-door sales company from Las Vegas, selling cleaner products, reported by a resident along Little Floyd Lake Road, Detroit Lakes, for suspicious behavior.
- 6:21 p.m., Male party arrived at a property along Borah Road, Detroit Lakes, and broke into a residence. The property owner notified police, then engaged in an aggressive verbal discussion with the intruder, who was in the basement when police arrived. The intruder was arrested.
- 7:53 p.m., Fridge and stove reported missing from an apartment along East Main Avenue, Frazee. Gray paint was used to leave vulgar messages on the walls.
- 10:17 p.m., A loud person caused a disturbance in the emergency room along Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes, and was escorted to jail.
- 11:22 p.m., Female reported a sexual assault at a business along Highway 10, Detroit Lakes. The investigation is ongoing.
Tuesday, May 3
- 6:59 a.m., Flames were seen coming from a boarded up window along Highway 113, Waubun. Arson is suspected and an investigation is ongoing.
- 8:29 a.m., Woman was blocking a school bus while taking pictures along County Road 121, Osage. Individual was informed that taking pictures was fine, but blocking traffic was not OK.
- 10:02 a.m., Man approached a juvenile at a convenience store on Lake Street, Frazee and solicited pictures of her feet. The encounter is under investigation.
- 12:09 p.m., Counterfeit $100 bill reported at a business along State Highway 34, Detroit Lakes.
- 5:23 p.m., Shoplifting reported along Menard Drive, Detroit Lakes.
- 6 p.m., Resident along Richwood Road, Detroit Lakes, reported suspicious activity as people were going door-to-door selling items.
- 6:29 p.m., Caller saw a weapon in a vehicle that was traveling along Frazee Street, Detroit Lakes. Officer located the vehicle and it was determined the gun owner had proper permits for the gun.
- 6:35 p.m., Traffic stop along County Highway 34, Ogema, resulted in a stolen 2005 Honda Civic being found. Adult female arrested.
Wednesday, May 4
- 8:51 a.m., An intoxicated female initially refused to leave a residence in Ogema along County Highway 21. After police arrived the female opted to comply with the request to exit the premises.
- 2:16 p.m., Storage locker broken into along Highway 10, Detroit Lakes. The items in the unit were gone through, including papers with a social security number. Caller was directed to contact the social security office and notify them of what happened.
- 2:24 p.m., Smoke plumes reported along Roosevelt Avenue, Detroit Lakes. The fire was coming from a controlled burn conducted by the Department of Natural Resources north of town. The DNR notified proper authorities prior to the controlled burn date.
- 3 p.m., Car on fire near a shed along Moose Street in Ogema. The White Earth Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire.
- 3:15 p.m., Tree and grass were on fire along Highway 113, Waubun. The White Earth Fire Department put out the fire.
- 3:20 p.m., Frazee High School student was having suicidal thoughts. Parents were notified and brought their child to the ER.
- 8:15 p.m., Leaking fluid spotted coming from a train along Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes. Officer examined the fluid, noted it had no odor nor could determine the type of liquid. BNSF Railroad was notified.
- 8:47 p.m., Hygiene products and medications (non-narcotics) found in a U-Haul unit located along Highway 10, Detroit Lakes.
- 9:10 p.m., Male, 44, arrested for a DWI on Main Avenue, Callaway.
- 9:29 p.m., Male, 37, arrested for a DWI on County Highway 34, Ogema.
Thursday, May 5
- 8:56 a.m., Fence at Detroit Lakes Airport along Highway 59 appeared to be cut.
- 9 a.m., Someone broke into a residence along 336th Avenue, Ogema. Items missing included a blanket, dream catchers, a love seat, cushions, couch, recliner, pizza oven and pictures. Fingerprints were taken.
- 10:01 a.m., Customer at a bank on Highway 10, Detroit Lakes, made threats as they were disgruntled about bank fees.
- 10:23 a.m., A property owner along County Road 121, Osage, reported a female continuously parked in her driveway, blocking a school bus and creating a road hazard.
- 10:38 a.m., Caller on Highway 34 expressed a safety concern for a Minnesota Department of Transportation employee. The MnDOT employee was reportedly in the middle of the highway without lights or warning signage that work was being done.
- 11:24 a.m., Resident along Meadow View Lane, Detroit Lakes, reportedly went out to build a porch and his neighbor cranked up the stereo and then let dogs out, which proceeded to continuously bark. Officer learned the behavior is an ongoing issue between the two neighbors.
- 11:57 a.m., Drug paraphernalia found in a child’s backpack at the White Earth Community Center during a pow wow event.
- 12:13 a.m., Detroit Lakes High School student caught with vape pen. Issue dealt with internally.
- 12:37 a.m., Unknown vehicles parked at a church along County Highway 32, Detroit Lakes. When the officer arrived one started to leave, but stopped when directed. It was determined no ill intent was done.
- 12:50 p.m., Ditch fire reported near the South Projects in Pine Point. Fire extinguished.
- 4:58 p.m., Three males were looking around at a business located on County Highway 17, Detroit Lakes. Business had wire stolen in the past, and suspected that is what the men were looking for. When the caller confronted the men, they scattered.
Friday, May 6
- 10:12 a.m., Caller along County Road 127, Park Rapids, reported credit card fraud. Caller stated $22,650 was used on their credit card, but they were not notified until the card went over the limit.
- 11:33p.m., People in Detroit Lakes City Park after closing hours. Individuals were made aware of park hours.
- 2:01 p.m., Gas drive-off at a business located along Highway 10, Detroit Lakes.
- 4:38 p.m., Brush fire reported on 295th Avenue, Waubun. Fire was extinguished.
- 6:05 p.m., Large grass fire reported along County Highway 29, Frazee. The fire was contained and extinguished before any structural damage occurred. Fire was started by a party with a burning permit.
- 9:47 p.m., Fire the size of a football field reported along County Highway 56, Frazee. The individual who started the fire stated they did not know they needed a permit and had lit brush on fire, which spread to the grass.
Saturday, May 7
- 11:44 a.m., Theft of several items including a brown Ford F-150 reported from a residence along County Road 110, Callaway.
- 12:54 p.m., Grass fire reported from a downed power line on Maple Lane, Detroit Lakes. Fire was extinguished.
- 1:34 p.m., Child went missing on Kelcy Lane, Detroit Lakes, while mom was changing clothes. Child was found nearby several minutes later.
- 2:06 p.m., Four-wheeler rolled near Somdahl Road in Callaway. Four children were taken to the hospital in personal vehicles.
- 2:54 p.m., Fire destroyed an uninhabited trailer on Pike Lake Resort Road in Waubun. Fire spread to the grass and was extinguished.
- 5:03 p.m., Noise complaint reported at a residence along East Main Avenue, Detroit Lakes.
- 5:40 pm., A loud explosion was reported by two callers along East Pearl Lake Road, Detroit Lakes. Officers made contact with a man who admitted he ignited a mortar firework in a pipe. The man apologized and said he would not do it again.
- 7:30 p.m., Vehicle that had been in the impound for the past two years was picked up. Upon inspection, the owner stated the catalytic converter had been removed.
- 8:37 p.m., A vehicle struck a building on West Lake Drive. Person was trapped in the building and two individuals with serious injuries were transported to the hospital. There was a gas leak reported. Minnesota Energy was contacted.
- 8:58 p.m., Male was arrested for an assault at a residence on Schoolhouse Road, Osage.
Sunday, May 8
- 12:15 a.m., Noise complaint on East Main Street, Frazee. Loud music was reported from a residence. When notified, the person apologized and turned down the music.
- 9:01 a.m., Bullets were found in a yard on Oak Grove Avenue, Detroit Lakes. It was unknown how the bullets got there.
- 9:27 a.m., Roof was blown off a mobile home on West Toad Lake Drive. Owner was contacted and made aware of the damage.
- 11:21 p.m., Caller reported a male was yelling and causing a disturbance on Willow Street, Detroit Lakes. When officers arrived, all was quiet. Officers were informed that the caller had reported a man for petty things in the past. The caller was advised of problems with misusing the 9-1-1 system.
- 1:14 p.m., Disturbance at Veterans Memorial Parkway; verbal argument in public.