Crime and fire report: Rural Audubon landlord allegedly harassing tenants
On Wednesday, April 6, an Audubon caller reported that their landlord was harassing their girlfriend; the landlord had allegedly been stopping by unannounced and entering the unit.
The following reports were compiled from the Becker County Sheriff’s Office and Detroit Lakes Police Department from an official with knowledge of the cases, unless otherwise noted.
Monday, April 4
- 4:58 a.m., 23000 block County Road 14, Callaway, a hay shed was reported on fire. The fire was extinguished after three hours.
- 7:39 a.m., Holiday gas station, Detroit Lakes, a vehicle was backed-into by another vehicle. No injuries.
- 8:50 a.m., 200 block Holmes Street, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. One of the drivers, a 74-year-old Detroit Lakes man, was transported to a nearby medical clinic with unknown injuries.
- 12:21 p.m., 600 block Highway 10, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 4:17 p.m., near 270th Street and 470th Avenue, Ponsford, grass fire reported. The fire was about one-tenth of an acre.
- 4:46 p.m., 1200 block 8th Street, Detroit Lakes, a caller reported kids who were “too young” were riding ATVs. ATVs are allowed to be ridden on private property; officer advised the riders to wear helmets and always operate the vehicles safely.
- 4:47 p.m., 300 block east Frazee Street, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 5:54 p.m., Marten Drive, Ogema, assault reported involving two juveniles. No injuries were reported. A family member took custody of the kids and counseled them.
- 6:44 p.m., 20000 block County Road 32, Rochert, propane leak due to a reported mechanical failure. Owner shut off the propane.
- 7:42 p.m., 353rd Circle, Ogema, report of an assault involving a juvenile assailant. No injuries reported.
- 8:08 p.m., 200 block west Elm Avenue, Frazee, report of a tire being slashed. The case is under investigation.
- 11:21 p.m., Lake Park, report of a domestic incident involving a father and son. No medical attention needed and no official statement was given.
Tuesday, April 5
- 5:19 a.m., at Holiday gas station, Detroit Lakes, a possible counterfeit $100 bill was passed to the business. The case is under investigation.
- 7:13 a.m., near Detroit Lakes, a caller reported spending more than $1,000 for a computer graphics card through Facebook Marketplace and never received the graphics card from the seller. Initially, the seller demanded more money for the card from the caller, but then broke off all contact. The seller claimed to be from Detroit Lakes.
- 7:51 a.m., Becker County Jail, Detroit Lakes, past action, an inmate made a report of inappropriate sexual conduct that occurred before they became an inmate at the jail. The case is under investigation.
- 8:03 a.m., near Highway 10 and Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes, railroad arms malfunctioning. The emergency signals and arms were repaired.
- 12:04 p.m., near White Earth, a caller reported a third-party was selling fake jewelry online.
- 2:28 p.m., 12000 block County Road 17, Detroit Lakes, a caller reported the theft of a cow’s skull from the property. There are suspects in the case.
- 9:04 p.m., near Detroit Lakes, drug related.
- 9:13 p.m., 700 block South Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes, a checking account was opened online in the caller’s name without authorization. The case is under investigation.
Wednesday, April 6
- 10:11 a.m., near Highway 34 and Highland Drive, Detroit Lakes, a chunk of metal was reported in the roadway. The metal caused minor damage to a vehicle
- 10:13 a.m., 800 block Summit Ave., Detroit Lakes, ID was found. Unable to locate owner. ID can be picked up at the police station.
- 2:16 p.m. 500 block Central Street, Detroit Lakes, alcohol found on a student at middle school, situation dealt with internally.
- 5:44 p.m., 36000 block County Road 21, Ogema, car trailer stolen. The case is under investigation.
- 7:57 p.m. Washington Avenue and North Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes, a vehicle slid on ice and struck the curb. No injuries. No alcohol involved.
- 8:20 p.m., rural Audubon, harassment. A caller reported their landlord is harassing their girlfriend. The landlord had allegedly been stopping by unannounced and entering the unit.
- 10:12 p.m., 35000 block County Road 21, Ogema, pursuit. The driver of the escaping vehicle slowed down, bailed out of the vehicle and attempted to flee on foot. A 37-year-old Mahnomen man was arrested at the scene.