Crime and fire report: Detroit Lakes man arrested after damaging trailer home
On Wednesday, March 2, a 44-year-old Detroit Lakes man was arrested after reportedly breaking the windows of a trailer home in Detroit Lakes.
The following reports were compiled from the Becker County Sheriff’s Office and Detroit Lakes Police Department from an official with knowledge of the cases, unless otherwise noted.
Monday, Feb. 28
- 10:15 a.m., 25000 block 353rd Circle, Ogema, a vacant residence was broken into. The caller believes vandals entered the residence through a window that was broken during a previous potential break-in. The caller also believes the vandals may be squatters.
- 12:36 p.m., 1200 block Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes, fire. A grease fire was reported on a stove. The fire was contained. A 23-year-old woman suffered minor burns during the incident.
- 1:39 p.m., 24000 block County Road 6, Detroit Lakes, gas pump drive off. A 61-year-old Ogema man pumped $50 worth of gas and tried to pay with a check. A store employee told the man that he wasn’t allowed to accept checks from the man because a previous check the man wrote to the same store bounced. The man slapped the check on the counter and left.
- 1:59 p.m., 900 block Highway 34, Detroit Lakes, a student left school without authorization. The student was found and returned to school.
- 3:26 p.m., Frazee, student threats. A 13-year-old boy reportedly created a “hit list” containing 12 names of his fellow classmates. The student admitted to law enforcement that it was a stupid mistake and he was trying to be funny for a friend. Officers determined the threat to not be credible. The student was issued a five-day out-of-school suspension.
- 8:07 p.m., 100 block Veteran’s Memorial Parkway, Detroit Lakes, disorderly. A 43-year-old woman was being hostile toward other patrons at a bar. The woman was cut-off and was described as, “non-aggressive, intoxicated and annoying.” The woman was given a ride home.
- 8:50 p.m., near Oak Street and Roosevelt Avenue, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries reported.
Tuesday, March 1
- 11:28 a.m., Ogema, unruly student. An 8-year-old boy reportedly broke a vase, punched a television and attempted to choke a teacher while at school. The parents took the child home. The school will consider disciplinary actions internally.
- 1:11 p.m., 1200 block Highway 10, Detroit Lakes, at H&R Block, a client became unruly after receiving information from the tax preparer. The client has made repeated harassing phone calls to the business.
- 1:36 p.m., 600 block West Lake Drive, Detroit Lakes, a door was damaged to a residence.
- 3:11 p.m., near Frazee Street and Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 6:46 p.m., 800 block south Washington Avenue, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 7:08 p.m., rural Ponsford, runaway. A caller reported a 15-year-old girl as a runaway. She was last seen at school.
Wednesday, March 2
- 7:47 a.m., 1300 block Highway 10, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 10:53 a.m., 300 block Park Lake Boulevard, Detroit Lakes, a personal check was reported stolen from the caller’s checkbook. The case is under investigation.
- 11:12 a.m., near Becker County, drug related.
- 12:55 p.m., 20000 block County Road 21, Detroit Lakes, property damage. A 44-year-old Detroit Lakes man was reportedly breaking windows out of a trailer home and was intoxicated. The man was arrested at the scene.
- 2:44 p.m., rural Rochert, medical. The caller reported that a man in his 40s was severely intoxicated and his health was severely deteriorated due to chronic drinking. The man was transported to a nearby medical clinic for treatment.
- 5:23 p.m., 100 block east Frazee Street, Detroit Lakes, prescription drugs were reportedly stolen from a purse.
- 6:16 p.m., 800 block Willow Springs Road, Detroit Lakes, smell of natural gas was reported.
- 11:18 p.m., 45000 block Highway 34, Osage, possible overdose. Upon arrival, officers found a 35-year-old Perham man who was hallucinating. The man requested and received transport to a nearby medical clinic for treatment.