Crime and fire report: DL woman finds mailing address changed to Yonkers, N.Y. in possible fraud attempt
On Tuesday, March 22 at 10:08 a.m., on the 400 block of Oak Hills Drive, Detroit Lakes, an elderly woman reported their mailing address had been switched to an address in Yonkers, N.Y. without authorization in a possible fraud attempt. The post office switched her address back to her current address.
The following reports were compiled from the Becker County Sheriff’s Office and Detroit Lakes Police Department from an official with knowledge of the cases, unless otherwise noted.
Monday, March 21
- 9:38 a.m., at Walmart, Detroit Lakes, past action, two incidents of shoplifting.
- 9:38 a.m., at Detroit Lakes High School, a vaping device was found in a student’s backpack. The student was disciplined internally.
- 9:43 a.m., 25000 block 354th Street. Ogema, seven boxes of flooring were stolen from White Earth Housing. The value of the flooring is about $700.
- 9:56 a.m., near the Northside Bar, Detroit Lakes, last night, a man was captured on video rummaging through unlocked, parked vehicles in the rear parking lot.
- 10:14 a.m., East Main Street, Frazee, possible intentional overdose involving pills and alcohol. A 37-year-old Frazee man was transported to a nearby medical clinic for treatment.
- 12:51 p.m., 900 block Summit Avenue, Detroit Lakes, natural gas smell reported. Minnesota Energy team dispatched.
- 1:18 p.m., 33000 block 130th Street, Frazee, mail theft from a residence.
- 1:41 p.m., near Detroit Lakes, inappropriate sexual conduct reported.
- 3:21 p.m., 3000 block Third Street, Lake Park, unauthorized Amazon account opened in the caller’s name. No money was lost.
- 4:13 p.m., 15000 block West Munson Lane, Detroit Lakes, a family received a fraudulent death notice concerning a family member and a bill for funeral services. The family member was not dead and law enforcement believes it to be a fraud attempt or a case of mistaken identity.
- 4:48 p.m., near Washington Avenue and Langford Street, Detroit Lakes, a “crack pipe” was found. Officers destroyed the item.
- 4:53 p.m., 14000 block Victory Lane, Lake Park, illegal burning reported. A person was burning mattresses.
- 8:21 p.m., 25000 block 260th Street, Callaway, house fire. All occupants are believed to have been evacuated safely. Firefighters were on the scene for about an hour.
Tuesday, March 22
- 7:07 a.m., 4000 block Fourth Street, Lake Park, a party was reportedly burning lumber in a parking lot.
- 10:08 a.m., 400 block Oak Hills Drive, Detroit Lakes, an elderly woman reported their mailing address had been switched to an address in Yonkers, N.Y. without authorization. The post office switched her address back to her current address.
- 12:41 p.m., 400 block west River Road, Detroit Lakes, a commercial check that was intended for a vendor was stolen in transit and cashed by an unauthorized person in Fergus Falls.
- 2:05 p.m., at Walmart, Detroit Lakes, past action, two incidents of shoplifting.
- 2:43 p.m., 36000 block County Road 21, Waubun, a caller reported a child had thrown a snowball or rock at their car. The child ran into a residence. Officers talked to the parents and the child about the incident.
- 2:45 p.m., 800 block Grant Street, Detroit Lakes, house fire. Smoke coming out of the attic. No visible flames . The fire is being investigated as an act of arson.
- 3:05 p.m., 2600 block Highway 10, Detroit Lakes, a lock was cut and replaced at a storage unit. Unknown if any items are missing.
- 3:06 p.m., 500 block Summit Avenue, Detroit Lakes, a red, 2002 Chevy extended cab pickup truck was stolen.
- 3:14 p.m., 31000 block north Sugar Bush Heights Road, Ogema, three mailboxes were damaged and car parts were left behind at the scene.
- 3:18 p.m., 300 block north Lake Street, Frazee, a student was caught at school with a vape pen.
- 4:01 p.m., 800 block Roosevelt Avenue, Detroit Lakes, money was stolen from the caller’s desk at work.
- 6:29 p.m., 29000 block Schram Road, Detroit Lakes, threats. A 21-year-old rural Detroit Lakes man reportedly made physical threats of harm to the caller and attempted to hit them with his truck. The caller was advised on order-for-protection procedures.
- 8:12 p.m., near North Shore Drive and Lincoln Avenue, Detroit Lakes, harassment. A group of juveniles reportedly harassed a caller who was walking their dog in City Park. The group made unflattering comments about the caller’s dog.
Wednesday, March 23
- 6:35 a.m., 600 block Highway 10, Detroit Lakes, an unknown amount of cash was reported stolen from an office.
- 11:17 a.m., 20000 block County Road 21, Detroit Lakes, a tailgate was stolen off a Ford F150. The case is under investigation.
- 11:31 a.m., 200 block Main Avenue, Callaway, gas pump drive-off.
- 3:12 p.m., near County Road 14 and County Road 21, Callaway, assault. A 38-year-old Detroit Lakes woman reported being assaulted in a vehicle. No injuries were reported. The case is under investigation.
- 3:28 p.m., near the Washington Avenue and Willow Street roundabout, Detroit Lakes, two-vehicle crash. No injuries.
- 5:09 p.m., 20000 block Highway 59, Detroit Lakes, phone scam. The caller gave personal and financial information to the scammer. The caller was advised to contact their bank and cancel their credit cards.
- 6:00 p.m., 48000 block Old Ball Park Road, Ponsford, mobile phone theft.
- 9:04 p.m., near Menahga, a 16-year-old girl was transported to a nearby medical clinic for treatment of a possible overdose