Crime and fire report: Fraudulent concert ticket scam reported in Detroit Lakes
On Monday, March 14 at 1:32 p.m., on the 700 block of South Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes, concert ticket scam. A caller reported they used Venmo to pay an online third-party for concert tickets, but the concert tickets were fake and the Venmo account was also fake. The caller is working with Venmo to recoup their losses.
The following reports were compiled from the Becker County Sheriff’s Office and Detroit Lakes Police Department from an official with knowledge of the cases, unless otherwise noted.
Monday, March 14
- 1:05 p.m., near Estate Drive, Lake Park, theft. The caller reported a stolen car dolly. The case is under investigation.
- 1:32 p.m., 700 block South Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes, fraud. Caller claims they purchased fake concert tickets from a scammer via Venmo. The caller is working with the company to recoup the money lost.
Tuesday, March 15
- 11:12 a.m., Walmart, Detroit Lakes, shoplifting.
- 11:46 a.m., 1200 Lincoln Avenue, Detroit Lakes, parked vehicle damage.
- 1:38 p.m., 18000 block Cummings Road, Detroit Lakes, possible theft of items from a deceased resident.
- 3:24 p.m., 1400 block Madison Avenue, Detroit Lakes, past action theft of personal items.
- 4:06 p.m., County Road 21, Ogema, report of inappropriate sexual conduct. The case is under investigation.
- 6:56 p.m., 1200 block East Shore Drive, Detroit Lakes, past action theft. A caller said they believe jewelry was stolen from a hotel room they stayed at.
- 9:00 p.m., 36000 block County Road 34, Ogema, possible scam involving the IRS.
- 9:45 p.m., Lake Avenue, Detroit Lakes, suicide related. A juvenile female party was transported to a nearby medical clinic for evaluation.
Wednesday, March 16
- 1:26 p.m., at Walmart, Detroit Lakes, shoplifting.
- 2:06 p.m., 300 block Canyon Boulevard, Detroit Lakes, carbon monoxide alarm. Occupants evacuated. Utility company alerted.
- 4:48 p.m., 100 block east Main Avenue, Frazee, unruly teenage boy. The boy was transported to a juvenile detention facility.
- 5:52 p.m., near Becker County, drug related.
- 9:18 p.m., near Becker County, weapons related.
- 9:17 p.m., near Walmart, Detroit Lakes, shoplifting.