School board recognizes work of staff member
Board approves hires and resignations
DETROIT LAKES — The Detroit Lakes School Board recognized staff member Cali Haarier for her dedication to students and work in the Unified Physical Education course as well as the Sidekicks Inclusion Club, which advocates and teaches the importance of inclusion, friendship and leadership to students. The goal is met through after-school activities, such as bowling, attending movies and more.
During the monthly school board meeting on Monday, Oct. 24, Harrier told the school board that the Sidekicks Inclusion Club is in its third year and has 121 students as members. She added parents, teachers and community members have offered assistance during gatherings and businesses have generously donated prizes for the kids.
The school board also approved hiring several new Laker staff members, including:
• Kimberly Erickson as a latchkey aid at the rate of $16 per hour.
• Jackie Jenson, Holy Rosary after school title support, at the rate of $28 per hour.
• Activity adviser hires included Amy Knopf (DeLakonian) at the rate of $1,194.13 annually and Claire Danner (Art Club), at the rate of $600 per year.
• Two ABE instructors, which teach reading, writing, social studies, math, science and computer instruction to students 17 and older and not enrolled in school. The hired staff members included instructor Gina McLaughlin-Worms at the rate of $33.47 per hour and Wanda Berg-Vorgert, paraprofessional, at the rate of $15.25 per hour.
• Nicole Strand, educational assistant at Lincoln, at the rate of $16.80 per hour.
• Special education paraprofessionals: Casey Hoffman, Dylan Lysne and Melissa Olson, all at the rate of $15.25 per, and Diane Morton (for Lakers Transitions) at the rate of $15.95 per hour.
• Leanne Comstock, food service, at the rate of $16.40 per hour, and Janelle Cook, production assistant, at the rate of $17.50 per hour.
• Toby Stark, custodian, at the rate of $19.33 per hour.
• Keith Eckhoff, seventh grade boys basketball coach, for a contract amount of $2,293.20 per season.
Staff resignations included:
• Tanya Rupp, elementary music teacher.
• Tanner Keyser, custodian.
• Dan McGonigle, Lincoln community education director.
• Connie Skersick, Jacob Fowler, Dani Adams, Diane Morton, Samantha Reed and Elisabeth Haugrud, all special education paraprofessionals.
• Katie Bigger, middle school girls basketball coach.