Winning piano students to perform March 6
Minnesota Music Teachers Association Preliminary Piano Contest for the Northwest District was held Saturday, Jan. 22, at First Lutheran Church. Several area MMTA member instructors entered students in eight age categories: Pre-Primary (ages 7 and...
Minnesota Music Teachers Association Preliminary Piano Contest for the Northwest District was held Saturday, Jan. 22, at First Lutheran Church.
Several area MMTA member instructors entered students in eight age categories: Pre-Primary (ages 7 and under), Primary (ages 7-8), Junior A (ages 9-10), Junior B (ages 11-12), Intermediate A (ages 13-14), Intermediate B (ages 15-16), Senior A (ages 17-18), and Senior B (ages 19-20). Of the 116 students entered, representing 15 area teachers, 66 students were selected as winners.
All of the Detroit Lakes area winning students will be invited to perform in recitals on Sunday, March 6, at 1:30 and 2:30 p.m. at Trinity Lutheran Church, Detroit Lakes. Winning students in Primary through Senior B are eligible to compete at the State Level Finals held on March 12-13 at Ferguson Hall, University of Minnesota.
The following local teachers and students participated in the event:
- Russell Bunker, 311 9th Street SW, Perham.
Pri.: Grace Kalina; JrA: Ryan Kalina, Madison McCrary; JrB: Anna Dale, Hannah Ellingson; Int.B: Lacy Guck
Winners: Grace Kalina, Ryan Kalina, Madison McCrary, Anna Dale, Hannah Ellingson
- Holly Heisserer, 1239 Minnesota Ave.: JrA: Emily Larson; Jr.B: Catherine Jaroszewski; Int. A: James Huwe, Berit Ramstad Skoyles; Int.B: Celeste Koppe
Winners: Emily Larson, James Huwe, Berit Ramstad Skoyles
- Diane Jordan, 23321 South Melissa Drive: Jr. A: Alexis Briard, Emma Dahl; Int. A: Randa Larson, Tanisha Perlmutter.
Winners: Emma Dahl, Tanisha Perlmutter
- Anne Jorgenson, 14490 East Fox Lake Rd.: Pri:. Livia Brehm, Jon Stone, Hallie VanGerpen; Jr. A: Adrianna Brehm, Shelby Busker, Carly Fritz, Samantha Maier, Maria Miosek, Etta Miosek, Sydney Stewart; Jr. B.: Kaitlyn Borah, Ethan McCullough, Katriana Hehlhaff, Anna Schumacher; IntA: Greta Fritz, Chandra Johnson, Paul Stewart; Int. B: Amy Seifert, Anna Skow-Anderson; Sr. A: Jason Laine; Sr. B: Ashley Morben
Winners: Hallie VanGerpen, Etta Miosek, Maria Miosek, Carly Fritz, Kaitlyn Borah, Anna Schumacher, Greta Fritz, Chandra Johnson, Paul Stewart, Amy Seifert, Jason Laine, Ashley Morben
- Kathryn Knutilla, 1118 Summit Ave.: Pri: Cody Holt, Sophie Nelson, Ethan Wothe; JrA: Cassidy Nelson; Jr. B: Taryn Posch; Int. A: Kristen Goodspeed; IntB: Kendra Posch.
Winners: Codie Holt, Ethan Wothe, Cassidy Nelson, Taryn Posch, Kristen Goodspeed, Kendra Posch.
- Lori Paakh, 1758 Brainard Blvd: IntB: Maria Veit
Winner: Maria Veit
- Audrey Savig, Audubon: Pri: Garrett Kleven, Kay Pederson, Jarrett Stelter; Jr. A: Marissa Thompson; JrB: Madelynn Thompson, Maren Thompson
Winners: Garrett Kleven, Kay Pederson, Marissa Thompson, Madelynn Thompson, Maren Thompso
- Jennifer Turnwall, Richwood: PrePri: Maria Sauer; Jr. A: Katie Larson, Aaron Oakes; JrB: Nicholas Larson
Winners: Maria Sauer, Katie Larson, Aaron Oakes, Nicholas Larson
- Sharon Wesbrook, 16898 Longview Lane: Pri: Anna Cihak, Sam Fegely, Chelsy Johnson; JrB: Isaak Cihak
Winners: Anna Cihak, Sam Fegely
The winning students will perform at 1:30 p.m. (Pre-Primary-Junior A) and 2:30 p.m. (Jr. B-Sr. B) on Sunday, March 6, in Trinity Lutheran Church. A free-will offering will be collected for the Senior Scholarship Fund. The public is cordially invited to attend.