New COVID-19 cases increased by 5%, 848 new cases, in the 8-county northwest lakes area over the past week.
COVID-related deaths in the 8-county area increased to 16 compared to 9 deaths reported last week. Otter Tail and Clay Counties each reported 5 new COVID-related deaths this week. Statewide, 292 COVID-related deaths were reported by the state this week, compared to 200 in the previous seven days, an increase of 46%, totaling 9,774 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
Across Minnesota, 32,705 new COVID-19 cases were reported this week, 7,851 more than the previous seven days, a 32% increase.
Becker County reported 142 active cases on Dec. 1, an increase of 2 active cases than the previous week.
Following are the state-listed total number of positive COVID-19 cases in the lakes area, by county, from Dec. 1 to Dec. 7.
- Becker: 6,421, up 117 cases since Dec. 1, including 1 additional death (75 deaths).
- Clay (Moorhead): 12,390, up 284 cases since Dec. 1, including 5 additional deaths (110 deaths).
Otter Tail: 10,111, up 229 cases since Dec. 1, including 5 additional deaths (132 deaths).
- Hubbard: 3,639, up 87 cases since Dec. 1 (49 deaths).
Norman: 1,065, up 15 cases since Dec. 1, including 1 additional death (10 deaths).
Mahnomen: 1,095, up 20 cases since Dec. 1, including 1 additional death (15 deaths).
Clearwater: 1,618, up 34 cases since Dec. 1, including 2 additional deaths (22 deaths).
- Wadena: 3,091, up 62 cases since Dec. 1, including 1 additional death (41 deaths).
Otter Tail County reported 207 active cases on Dec. 1, a decrease of 104 active cases over the previous week, according to Otter Tail County Public Health.
Becker County reported 142 active cases, an increase of 2 active cases since Dec. 1, according to Becker County Public Health.
Cass County, N.D. (Fargo) reported 938 active COVID-19 cases, an increase of 64 active cases since Dec, 1, according to the North Dakota Health Department. There have been 36,955 cases reported in Cass County since the pandemic began, including 272 deaths.
The Minnesota Department of Health is also providing weekly updates on vaccination breakthrough cases on their web portal.
More information and assistance
- MDH COVID-19 hotline: 651-201-3920 or 800-657-3903. The hotline is available seven days a week, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- MDH COVID-19 website: www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html
- Becker County Public Health is available to answer your questions regarding COVID-19 at 218-847-5628, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Otter Tail County Public Health is available to answer general questions regarding COVID-19 at 218-998-8320 or 888-349-2581, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Otter Tail County COVID-19 Health Information: ottertailcountymn.us/content-page/covid-19-health-information/.
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper righthand corner of the homepage.