Weekly update: New COVID cases drop 48% across 8-county lakes area
Since Feb. 2, Minnesota reported an additional 32,168 COVID-19 cases, a 52% decrease compared to the previous seven days, totaling 1,379,102 for the entire pandemic. Also, 204 new deaths were reported by the state in the last seven days, 30 fewer deaths than the previous week, totaling 11,722 for the entire pandemic.
Newly reported COVID cases in 8-county lakes area have decreased 48%, from 3,294 to 1,727, compared to the previous week. New reported cases in Becker County fell from 418 to 268 in the past seven days. Additionally, Clay County reported a 46% decrease in new cases this week; going from 1,336 to 727 new cases in the past two weeks.
Following are the state-listed
total number of positive COVID-19 cases
in the lakes area, by county, from Feb. 2 to Feb. 8, 2022.
- Becker: 8,313, up 268 cases since Feb. 2 (86 deaths).
- Clay (Moorhead): 18,418, up 727 cases since Feb. 2, including 1 additional death (117 deaths).
- Otter Tail: 12,908, up 293 cases since Feb. 2, including 2 additional deaths (157 deaths).
- Hubbard: 4,697, up 111 cases since Feb. 2, including 2 additional deaths (56 deaths).
- Norman: 1,428, up 57 cases since Feb. 2 (13 deaths).
- Mahnomen: 1,548, up 112 cases since Feb. 2 (17 deaths).
- Clearwater: 2,044, up 51 cases since Feb. 2 (29 deaths).
- Wadena: 3,970, up 108 cases since Feb. 2, including 1 additional death (49 deaths).
Otter Tail County reported 278 active cases on Feb. 2, an increase of 16 active cases over the previous week, according to Otter Tail County Public Health .
Becker County reported 196 active cases on Feb. 8, a decrease of 116 active cases since Feb. 2, according to Becker County Public Health.
Cass County, N.D. (Fargo) reported 735 active COVID-19 cases on Feb. 8, a decrease of 503 active cases since Feb. 2, according to the North Dakota Health Department . There have been 57,383 cases reported in Cass County since the pandemic began, including 317 deaths.
The Minnesota Department of Health is also providing weekly updates on vaccination breakthrough cases on their web portal.
More information and assistance
- MDH COVID-19 hotline: 651-201-3920 or 800-657-3903. The hotline is available seven days a week, 7 a.m.-7 p.m.
- MDH COVID-19 website: www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/situation.html
- Becker County Public Health is available to answer your questions regarding COVID-19 at 218-847-5628, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Otter Tail County Public Health is available to answer general questions regarding COVID-19 at 218-998-8320 or 888-349-2581, Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Otter Tail County COVID-19 Health Information: ottertailcountymn.us/content-page/covid-19-health-information/ .
As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper righthand corner of the homepage.