Weather Forecast


Lakers, Green Wave play to stalemate

DL's Ben Heimark (12) avoides the sliding tackle of East Grand Forks' Nathaniel Emery (13) in the first half of play during a 1-1 tie at Rotary Soccer Park Thursday night. Robert Williams/Tribune

East Grand Forks keeper Drew Kallock and the East Grand Forks defense held off a pressuring Laker offense for the final 87 minutes of regulation and overtime to escape Detroit Lakes with a one-all tie Tuesday.

Cole Metelak put the Lakers on the board before the three-minute mark on a shot and rebounded ball that squirted left of a sprawled Kallock and Metelak corralled the loose change and buried his shot into an open net.

Jackson Carlblom assisted on the marker.

Mohammed Yusuif scored the tying goal at the 19-minute mark on a close play that was ruled onside by the official. Yusuif’s tally was unassisted

Wyatt McConkey was tripped inside the box and earned a penalty kick taken from the right corner by Carlblom. He lofted a shot that just floated over the crossbar.

Carlblom had a second penalty kick in the final minute of the half but Kallock was up to the task.

DL had the better chances in the second half and overtime.


Gabe Anderson thwarted a Yusuif breakaway with a defensive gem near Laker keeper Trey Seebold.

Kobe Braukmann crossed the ball and found a header attempt by McConkey that was just wide with 15 minutes to play.

Kale Omang created a penalty with a blue collar effort down low. Carlblom took his third attempt from an angle and could not get the tiebreaker.

Carlblom had the first shot in overtime driving to the net that would not go. East Grand’s Parker Anderson had a penalty chance on Seebold but the ball sat in front of the Laker keeper before being cleared by the DL defenders.

Carlblom and Metelak got in on a breakaway leading to a Metelak shot that sailed wide right.

McConkey also broke away from the defense but his final attempt at the game-winner was nabbed by Kallock.

DL outshot EGF 10-9 and had a big advantage in corner opportunities 9-2.

SOPHIA GUNDERSON/Kari Tschider-Special to the Tribune

Payne scores lone goal at East Grand Forks

Anna Payne had the lone DL tally and her goal held up for the opening 40 minutes as the Lakers took a 1-0 lead to halftime at East Grand Forks in a battle of two of the top teams in Section 8A Thursday night.

The Green Wave responded with three unanswered goals in the second half to upend the Lakers 3-1.

Payne scored with three minutes left in the first half but the lead was short-lived as Kora Jordheim tallied less than two minutes after halftime on a Chloe Torgeson assist. Torgeson netted the game-winner unassisted at 59:05 and Jordheim put an insurance goal on the scoreboard in the 62nd minute.

Green Wave keeper Kenzie Whalen stopped nine Laker shots in the game.

The loss dropped the Lakers to third place behind the Green Wave (5-0, 4-0) and Bemidji (6-1, 5-1) in the 8A standings. The Lakers’ (5-2, 5-2) two losses have come to the Jacks and Green Wave. DL faces the Otters (3-4, 3-3) in Fergus Falls Saturday, Sept. 16 at 1 p.m.

Robert Williams

Sports Editor at the Detroit Lakes Tribune. Williams worked prior as the Sports Editor in Perham for the Focus, a Forum Communications newspaper, from 2010-14. 

(218) 844-1442