Freshman Wyatt Blomseth of Detroit Lakes and the Minnesota State Community and Tech College-Fergus Falls mens’ golf team competed in the NJCAA Div. III National Championship at Chautauqua Golf Club (Par 72) in Chautauqua, NY (June 4-7).
Blomseth earned All-American Honorable Mention and the Spartans placed third as a team only six shots off the championship pace.
“We are thrilled for Wyatt earning All-American honors and the great season he had,” head coach Jason Retzlaff said. “He grinded extremely hard all week and was rewarded. Not only is he a great golfer, he is an outstanding all around human being who did a wonderful job representing our program this year. We look forward to another great year with him in 2019-20.”
With the All-American honor as a freshman, Blomseth has earned an automatic bid to the national tournament next year.
Two other Fergus Falls golfers earned awards: Blake Bloedorn (4th place- first team All-American) and Hunter Moen (5th place-first team All-American).
Moen is the first M-State golfer to earn first team All-American honors in consecutive years.
Georgia Military shot 301 to defeat Sandhills by one shot for the team championship. The Spartans surged on the final day with their lowest score of the week with a 304.
“The Spartans really came to play today and it was a battle between three great teams,” Retzlaff said. “We might have caught both teams around the 12th hole but couldn’t quite keep the wave of momentum going through the entire round. Regardless, six shots off the title is a tremendous accomplishment and the guys played exceptional under pressure.”
M-State has finished in the top three places in three of the last four years (2016-17,2019).
NJCAA Div. III National Championship, Chautauqua Golf Club (Par 72), Chautauqua, NY (June 4-7)
Final Team Results (Four days of competition):
1. Georgia Military College (Milledgeville, GA) 315-314-305-301 1235
2. Sandhills CC (Pinehurst, NC) 314-316-293-313 1236
3. M-State (Fergus Falls, MN) 317-311-309-304 1241
4. Columbus State CC (Columbus, OH) 324-328-308-332 1292
5. County College of Morris (Randolph, NJ) 333-328-328-309 1298
6. Niagara County CC (Sanborn, NY) 327-332-330-330 1319
7. Butler County CC (Butler, PA) 336-337-319-328 1320
8. Cayuga CC (Auburn, NY) 342-327-323-335 1327
9. Northampton CC (Bethlehem, PA) 346-342-331-325 1344
10.Nassau CC (Garden City, NJ) 355-355-343-331 1384
11. Madison College (Madison, WI) 357-341-348-348 1394
M State Individual Results:
4 Blake Bloedorn 75-78-74-76 303
5 Hunter Moen- 75-76-79-75 305
T14 Wyatt Blomseth- 85-77-77-76 315
T20 Carter Justesen- 82-80-79-77 318
T67 Austin Miller- 90-84-86-88 348