Girls Tennis: Lakers prepare for sections
The Detroit Lakes girls' tennis team registered their best match of the season, despite losing 5-2 in Moorhead Thursday. The Lakers garnered wins by their top two doubles teams, as Emma Maguire and Emily Seebold toppled Brianna Storm and Alley Gr...
The Detroit Lakes girls’ tennis team registered their best match of the season, despite losing 5-2 in Moorhead Thursday.
The Lakers garnered wins by their top two doubles teams, as Emma Maguire and Emily Seebold toppled Brianna Storm and Alley Grimley, while the DL duo of Devree Bunnis and Carolyn Kinney won over Erika Houby and Brianna Adamek.
Although the rest ended up in defeats, the Lakers showed the improvement which is needed as the section tournament looms.
“This was the best we have played as a team,” said DL head coach Tanner Beauchman. “Every match was very competitive, with three matches going into a third set.”
A rain delay turned into a nine-hour triangular Friday during the DL triangular with Thief River Falls and Alexandria.
The third match of the day didn’t end until 9 p.m. under the lights.
Krista Leaf and Maria Prouty earned a No. 3 doubles win over TRF’s Shania Sele and Grace Thompson 6-2, 7-5.
“Krista and Maria have been improving and they played a really good doubles match,” Beauchman said. “Dani (Unruh) played her best match of the season against Alexandria’s Elle Bergstrand. She was moving well and hitting the ball with more pace than she has this season.”
Unruh went three sets with Bergstrand, before dropping the final one 10-5.
The Lakers begin the individual subsection tournament Saturday in Grand Forks.
Detroit Lakes at Moorhead, Thursday, Sept. 26
Moorhead 5, Detroit Lakes 2
- Anna Steinwaud (M) over Dani Unruh (DL) 6-0, 6-4
- Emma Bjerklie (M) over India Fritz (DL) 5-7, 6-0, 12-10
- Maddie Mueller (M) over Stella Foltz (DL) 6-2, 6-1
- Mallory Smith (M) over Sydney Fritz (DL) 4-6, 6-0, 10-3
- Emma Maguire/Emily Seebold (DL) over Brianna Storm/Alley Grimley (M) 6-2, 6-4
- Devree Bunnis/Carolyn Kinney (DL) over Erika Houby/Brianna Adamek (M) 6-4, 7-5
- Marin Tollefson/Hannah Wold (M) over Maria Prouty/Krista Leaf (DL) 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
Thief River Falls and Alexandria at Detroit Lakes, Friday, Sept. 27
Thief River Falls 6, Detroit Lakes 1
- Kaylee Jorgenson (TRF) over Dani Unruh (DL) 6-1, 6-2
- Kora Torkelson (TRF) over India Fritz (DL) 6-1, 6-2
- Brandi Mawitz (TRF) over Stella Foltz (DL) 6-0, 6-0
- Elle Jorgenson (TRF) over Sydney Fritz (DL) 6-0, 6-0
- Sabrina Okeson/Allison Okeson (TRF) over Emma Maguire/Emily Seebold (DL) 6-0, 6-1
- Juliet Tuneburg/CarlyLunsetter (TRF) over Carolyn Kinney/Devree Bunnis (DL) 6-2, 6-1
- Krista Leaf/Maria Prouty (DL) over Shania Sele/Grace Thompson (TRF) 6-2, 7-5