Playoffs begin Monday for DL tennis
The Alexandria Cardinals handed the Detroit Lakes tennis team a 6-1 loss to conclude regular season play Friday, May 18 in Alexandria.
“We had some tight matches that didn't fall our way,” DL head coach Zach Biggar said. “We have been talking about being mentally tough throughout the match and after the match. With two losses this week the guys are going to have to bounce back for sections.”
DL lost to Perham 6-1 on Wednesday also.
Tanner Doppler and Trey Seebold picked up the lone DL victory over the Cards at No. 2 singles splitting the first two sets with Zach Wosepka and Hunter Croonquist 6-3 and 4-6 before sealing the match in the third 10-5.
Austin Baker and Jake Hanson went to a third set at No. 3 doubles before dropping the third set 10-3.
The junior varsity and middle school teams ended their seasons in Alex.
“We are hoping and encouraging those younger boys to hit throughout the summer as much as they can,” Biggar said.
The Lakers are seeded No. 4 in the upcoming Section 8A playoffs. DL opens against No. 5 Crookston Monday, May 21 in Thief River Falls.
The top-seeded hosts will face the winner; the Prowlers have a first round bye.
No. 3 plays No. 6 East Grand Forks. No. 2 Perham plays No. 7 Fergus Falls.
Alexandria 6, Detroit Lakes 1
1. Matt Vogel (A) over Garrett Knopf (DL) 6-3, 6-1
2. JJ Foster (A) over Conner Froke (DL) 6-0, 6-0
3. Jacob Partington (A) over Jens Richards (DL) 6-3, 6-2
4. Alex Jost (A) over Isaac Eggebraaten (DL) 6-1, 6-2
1. Grant Storm/Eli Simonson (A) over Gabe Hanninen/Pedro Lacasa (DL) 6-2, 6-1
2. Tanner Doppler/Trey Seebold (DL) over Zach Wosepka/Hunter Croonquist (A) 6-3, 4-6, 10-5
3. Treyton/Thompson/Chris Bienusa (A) over Austin Baker/Jake Hanson (DL) 2-6, 6-4, 10-3