Green Wave hand Laker tennis fourth loss
Detroit Lakes dropped to 0-4 on the season after a 5-2 section loss at East Grand Forks Monday, April 22.
Both Laker points came via doubles victories.
DL’s top pairing of Gabe Hanninen and Trey Seebold defeated Tucker Brown and Justin Marciniak four and four.
Caden Smith and Jordan Fields picked up a win at three-doubles defeating Seth Aaker and Bryce Huot 6-3, 6-1.
“We really tried to attack doubles today,” said head coach Zach Biggar. “We had some chances at all three doubles matches where we could put balls away at the net and we didn't capitalize on that. If we can clean up some of those things, we are going to be a tough doubles team.”
Braeden Wimmer and Connor Zamzo went a full three sets at two doubles falling 7-5, 4-6, 6-3 to Tanner Mack and Josiah Gehris.
“East Grand Forks has a tough singles lineup,” Biggar said. “Kern, Felch, and Anderson have been there for the last few years and they are always tough. We just want to make those guys hit as many balls as possible and our singles guys did that.”
The Green Wave swept all four singles matches in straight sets.
The Lakers face Perham at home Tuesday, April 23, beginning at 4:30 p.m.
East Grand Forks 5, Detroit Lakes 2
- Ben Kern (EGF) over Sam Spry (DL) 7-5, 6-2
- Blake Felch (EGF) over Nate Cihak (DL) 6-3, 6-3
- Parker Anderson (EGF) over Austin Miller (DL) 6-2, 6-4
- Justin Smerer (EGF) over Gabe Reller (DL) 6-4, 6-2
- Gabe Hanninen/Trey Seebold (DL) over Tucker Brown/Justin Marciniak (EGF) 6-4, 6-4
- Tanner Mack/Josiah Gehris (EGF) over Braeden Wimmer/Connor Zamzo (DL) 7-5, 4-6, 6-3
- Caden Smith/Jordan Fields (DL) over Seth Aaker/Bryce Huot (EGF) 6-3, 6-1.